Question

Converting & Combining Shape .shp file into AutoCAD .dwg file

• 19 February 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a point vector shape file that consists of the vertices of a number of lines. The data looks kind of like this: (extremely simplified values, but the same format)

Feature NumberVertex NumberxyzLayer00101315Main Cable01121420Main Cable

10345Secondary Cable11478Secondary Cable125710Secondary Cable

What I want is to create lines that consist of x, y and z values using the feature number as the grouping attribute, ie. All points that have a matching feature number would create a single line, with the vertices starting from lowest to highest.

I have tried using CAD, FME and Excel but have had no success.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

First create the point with VertexCreator. EDIT: This step is not necessary. I thought it was an Excel as the input.

Use a Sorter to sort features by Feature Number and Vertex Number.

Then create the lines with the LineBuilder, using Feature Number as the Connection Break

First create the point with VertexCreator. EDIT: This step is not necessary. I thought it was an Excel as the input.

Then create the lines with the LineBuilder, using Feature Number as the Connection Break

I have attempted to follow these steps, but so far my result is not what I want (it doesn't even change the format of the beginning data).

What I was able to do was use the points to path feature in QGIS. However, the 'Layer' column is lost during the creation of the line. (I may open a new help question for this)

Badge +5

I have attempted to follow these steps, but so far my result is not what I want (it doesn't even change the format of the beginning data).

What I was able to do was use the points to path feature in QGIS. However, the 'Layer' column is lost during the creation of the line. (I may open a new help question for this)

Hi Nic, is that your full workspace? I can’t see the line builder or writer transformer in there.

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

What @umapper1 has said. Without the LineBuilder I have mentioned in my answer you won't see a any real change.

Hi Oscard,

Unfortunately, when I tried your solution, I had no success. I feel like I'm missing something, but here is the process that I have been following.

1: Import a shape file into FME

2: Apply a sorter

3: Apply a line builder

However, the result is this:

I don't think this is the result I am seeking. From what it appears, only the x, y, z values for the first vertex is being used. I want to have a geometry column that has ALL the x, y, z values for that particular line

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi Oscard,

Unfortunately, when I tried your solution, I had no success. I feel like I'm missing something, but here is the process that I have been following.

1: Import a shape file into FME

2: Apply a sorter

3: Apply a line builder

However, the result is this:

I don't think this is the result I am seeking. From what it appears, only the x, y, z values for the first vertex is being used. I want to have a geometry column that has ALL the x, y, z values for that particular line

Could I have a sample of your SHAPE data? I have applied those steps to build lines from points without any issue.