Question

Problems with Oracle Instant Client and FME

• 15 June 2013
  • 6 replies

Good day!

I am having difficulties getting FME to use Oracle readers and writers. I am using 64bit for both FME and Oracle instant client.

From the website, I followed the instructions for downloading an Oracle Instant Client, unzipping it to a directory and adding this to the front of my PATH environment. The options in the reader and writer gallery are still greyed-out however. I have been trawling the web for the past day or so and nothing I see helps (or makes sense to me!). 

Any help would be appreciated 

Rich L

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I cannot find the actual cause from the limited information, but I guess you are perhaps overlooking a slight mistake like typo in the PATH environment...

Check carefully all of the setup steps of the Oracle Instant Client.

Takashi
Hi Takashi,

Thank you for answering. I have re-checked all the steps and as far as I can see It is right.

I have since downloaded Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, re-installed FME and changed the PATH environment to look at the directory for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition. This has still not solved my problem...

Rich L
Hi,

Are you able to run sqlplus from the command line ?

This way you limit your scope of testing to the individual parts, instead of having the whole chain working in one go.

Second step to check are your references in your tnsnames.ora file.

Note that if you use ArcGIS libraries, that those are relying on Oracle 32 bit libraries.

Marc
 - PROBLEM SOLVED -
Would you care to elaborate ?
Badge

This thread is pretty old but the result of my current testing may be still useful for some people. The FME desktop I am using is 2019.2.3.1 (64 bit) and Esri ArcGIS 10.7.1 (32 bit). If one needs to use Esri ArcSDE writer (w/ ArcCatalog connection string) in a workbench for output to Oracle database, both 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clients need to be installed to make the writer work. In other words, missing either one of the oracle clients will prompt error messages.