Question

How to fixed the error from ArcObjects error is -2147216028'? -

• 11 October 2017
  • 8 replies

We are trying to read SDE files in FME Server. But it displayed the follow error message: Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216028'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {No SDEHOME environment variable set}.

We installed FME Server 2017 64 bit, Oracle client 64 bit and ArcGIS 64bit Background. Who have same experience and help us find the solution? Thank you!

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @jessiedxy,

In this Knowledge center has a interesting links with the same proble:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @jessiedxy,

In this Knowledge center has a interesting links with the same proble:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Thanks,

Danilo

Thank you for your reply! Although they belong to the Esri ArcObjects Errors, but they are different with my question.
Badge

I am also obtaining the same error and would like to know the fix???

Badge +11

Can you confirm the Oracle connection string type you are using on the FME Server system? Might be a long shot but... Is it using tns alias?

I presume you have ArcGIS Desktop installed on this system (mentions 64bit background processing installed). So could you do a test: using the same SDE Connection file that FME Server (workspace) is pointing, can you test it? (not a copy of the file - but point to the same sde connection file).

Next. The FME Server engine service runs under a service account. Is that connection accessible from the Server as the FME Server Engine Service login account?

Badge +11
Thank you for your reply! Although they belong to the Esri ArcObjects Errors, but they are different with my question.
In my experience many factors influence the ArcObjects error messages returned. They are not always helpful to identify the problem or cause of the problem. I'll go as far to say that for the same underlying problem I believe may have different messages returned due to other factors (not known to me) when the error is encountered.

Badge +2

I had to do the same few weeks ago :

- Create your Windows environment variable : https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/358/arcsde-libraries-required-for-the-esri-arcsde-sde3.html

- Install ArcGIS Geoprocessing 64 bits (you'll probably have to run the ESRI.exe to install that)

Badge +11

I had to do the same few weeks ago :

- Create your Windows environment variable : https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/358/arcsde-libraries-required-for-the-esri-arcsde-sde3.html

- Install ArcGIS Geoprocessing 64 bits (you'll probably have to run the ESRI.exe to install that)

@philippeb, In your case you were using the ArcSDE Legacy format and you don't have ArcGIS Desktop installed (or 64bit background if using FME 64bit)? Then this would be the appropriate next step.

However, If @jessiedxy is using this format and has the ArcGIS Desktop and 64bit software installed they shouldn't need to do this... at least I don't on my similar configured system.

Can you confirm the Oracle connection string type you are using on the FME Server system? Might be a long shot but... Is it using tns alias?

I presume you have ArcGIS Desktop installed on this system (mentions 64bit background processing installed). So could you do a test: using the same SDE Connection file that FME Server (workspace) is pointing, can you test it? (not a copy of the file - but point to the same sde connection file).

Next. The FME Server engine service runs under a service account. Is that connection accessible from the Server as the FME Server Engine Service login account?

@SteveAtSafe Thank you for your reply. We made a test: Uploaded the SDE Connection file to FME Server Shared_Data folder and made the test workspace point to this connection file. But it displayed the above error message (See the above question tile). You said "point to the same sde connection fine", do you mean to point to C drive Sde connection file?

In addition, FME Server log file listed another error message "Please ensure the connection parameters are correct (server ='XX', instance = 'sde:oralcle$XX/XX', user='XX', password="",database='',version = 'SDE.DEFAULT). I think maybe FME Server can read this connection file, but it couldn't log in SDE. Is it because our FME Server login account couldn't access to SDE?