Question

Intermittent DB connection errors with FME Desktop 2019.2 32-bit

• 9 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

I had this problem beginning in FME 2018 32-bit and thought it was related to the JVM memory issue, but I upgraded to 2019.2 and I'm still having a problem connecting to oracle databases intermittently.

Here's one case: I have an sde reader (non-legacy) that is set up using a path to an sde connection file. I go to import a second feature type to the same reader and I get an error:

Unable to connect to Oracle database, because the database environment could not be initialized.

If I manually type the featureclass that I want to add into the dialogue, it actually just loads up, but I can't browse the Table List to pick it.

Another case is in the oracle non-spatial connection that I'm using with a sqlexecutor or sqlcreator. Sometimes I can create and test a sql string just fine; other times I get the same error:

Unable to connect to Oracle database, because the database environment could not be initialized.

If I completely close FME and reopen, sometimes it works again. Sometimes I try rebooting my machine so all various applications that are making oracle connections (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, SQL Developer) are completely disconnected.

But I haven't been able to dial in on either an exact set of repro steps or a reliable fix. Anyone have any ideas? Note that under certain circumstances I have to use 32-bit, so a suggestion to just use 64-bit won't work for my situation.

1 reply

Badge +11

Hi @jakethepainter,

Thank you for sharing this... We have seen this on one other occasion... at least I am thinking it is the same.

Could you submit a case to www.safe.com/support and address me, SteveatSafe, so we can take this offline to investigate further.

In the meantime, might you be able to expand on the ArcMap Versions involved?

Do you happen to have FME 64bit available to test the same outcome? No worries if you don't.

What keeps you tied to 32bit Environment? And you have Esri's ArcGIS Background Processing 64bit installed? (ArcPro probably makes this not necessary).