Question

Retrieving all connections from a workspace

• 4 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I need to update a database model which has a lot of fme jobs associated with it. So I would like to extract all connections made by all our workspaces and make a little data model of all fme jobs and associated connections. I get some info out of the fmw reader but there are connections made by sql statements (and pl/sql) as well which as I see it now would need sql parsing.

Is there any alternative for going down the python route? Cause I would to need learn something I hardly use and thus forget. Administering fme jobs this way would make it possible to gather more quickly where to update the fme jobs after a data model change. Any alternative transformer to the python caller? Any alternatives to the fmw reader? Any workflows you guys use to organize that forest of jobs?

All the best, Robbert

3 replies

Badge +2

Hi rokop, Although I don't know of an alternative method to achieve what you wanted, I did find this idea, which when implemented will make your life a bit easier. Just wanted to let you know, since you may be interested in voting for it and following it's progress. https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/86335/search-find-for-all-workbenches-that-contains-a-sp.html

Badge +2

With a bit of configuration, the workspace reader (FMW) should be able to return a list of the connection files in a workspace. I've attached an example workspace: databaseconnectionnames.fmw

Badge

Thanks Mark,

This is exactly what I was working on indeed. I will try adapt it a bit for retrieving schema objects as well and make it batch run with the workspace runner. It is the SQL parser which could be run over the "SQL_STATEMENTS" attribute which is the biggest obstacle however. But hey seems I will have to give Python a go then.

Cheers, Robbert