Solved

Update Google Calendar / access spreadsheet add-ons

• 15 April 2016
  • 3 replies

Here is what I am trying to do: When someone puts a file in a certain folder, I want a notification on my Google Calendar on the day the file was put there.

I guess my first question would be, Is there a way to add things to Google Calendar?

My second question would be, assuming there is not a way to access the Calendar: I am able to create a spreadsheet in Google Docs. Then there is an add-on "From Sheets to Calendar" that will take the information from the spreadsheet and add it to the calendar. Is there a way for FME to access and run that Add-On?

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 16 April 2016, 03:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I love this scenario!

I presume you're using FME Server? It has a directory watcher that would create a notification to trigger the workspace to do the work.

FME 2016.1 comes with a definition for the "OAUTH" needed to use the "HTTPCaller" with Google Calendar. So pop down an HTTPCaller and go to the bottom Authentication area, and choose Web Connection for the method, and define a new connection in the Connection area. You'll need to authenticate to your google account.

Then we need to figure out the REST API for Google Calendars so we can insert our event. I found this link that defines the API, and this one that gave me a hint about how to format the JSON for the event request.

After battling through it I came up with the attached workspace. You'll need to turn on Authentication in the httpcaller and create a "Web Connection" to your Google Calendar, but it should get you going.

calendarpost.fmw

I love this scenario!

I presume you're using FME Server? It has a directory watcher that would create a notification to trigger the workspace to do the work.

FME 2016.1 comes with a definition for the "OAUTH" needed to use the "HTTPCaller" with Google Calendar. So pop down an HTTPCaller and go to the bottom Authentication area, and choose Web Connection for the method, and define a new connection in the Connection area. You'll need to authenticate to your google account.

Then we need to figure out the REST API for Google Calendars so we can insert our event. I found this link that defines the API, and this one that gave me a hint about how to format the JSON for the event request.

After battling through it I came up with the attached workspace. You'll need to turn on Authentication in the httpcaller and create a "Web Connection" to your Google Calendar, but it should get you going.

calendarpost.fmw

I am working on FME desktop, but I did get the calendar to update using your caldenarpost.fmw you posted- thank you so much!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Nice question!