Question

Dynamic Feature Reader

• 15 August 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

FME 2017

I have a Schema Reader that is just use to input a file path, nothing more.

The filepath is sent to a feature reader that I want to accepts multiple file types: .csv, .dxf, .dwg, .shp,

The feature reader has the "generic" file type set and the filepath is provided by use "fme_dataset" from the Schema Reader.

I do not understand how to do this.

In the Output ports section of feature reader, In the "Specified" section I want to have "csv, dxf, dwg, shp" as separate output ports but it does not work it just prompts me for a file dataset instead.

In the output that I can get the number of features is correct by there is no data.

Is the only way to do this is to have multiple feature readers with the reader format set to the file type in question?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

You probably want to use the Generic format in the FeatureReader.

That format will define the reader based on the extension of the file.

Hope this helps.

Badge

You probably want to use the Generic format in the FeatureReader.

That format will define the reader based on the extension of the file.

Hope this helps.

@erik_jan It "works" as in I can see the correct number of features coming out of the generic output but there is no attribute information. I tried attribute exposer but does nothing

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

@erik_jan It "works" as in I can see the correct number of features coming out of the generic output but there is no attribute information. I tried attribute exposer but does nothing

Hi @tforward,

I tried it with some data from the training and I do see the attributes in the Data Inspector.

As you mentioned, you will have to expose them, using the setting in the FeatureReader as shown below:

Badge

Hi @tforward,

I tried it with some data from the training and I do see the attributes in the Data Inspector.

As you mentioned, you will have to expose them, using the setting in the FeatureReader as shown below:

@erik_jan I found that setting, however still can't get to it work. In the reader section for dataset: I have "fme_dataset" that is provided by the reader at the start that just provides the path to the file.