Question

Merging rasters with no overlapping features

• 8 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

I'm trying to merge photos together (similar to raster mosaicking) but they have no overlapping features. Their file name shares a common value which I would like to use to merge the photos, but I can't seem to find a transformer/group of transformers to do this?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @andrewskl,

Can I ask why the RasterMosicker doesn't work for you in this case? Could you elaborate a little on what the input pictures are like and how you expect the merged output to look?

Badge
Hi @andrewskl,

Can I ask why the RasterMosicker doesn't work for you in this case? Could you elaborate a little on what the input pictures are like and how you expect the merged output to look?

Hi @MattAtSafe, the rasters are part of a Site Diary PDF series showing progress of tasks on site, so don't necessarily have any overlapping features which would join together. I'm looking for the merged output to just be each photo next to each other, maybe with a small gap in between.

Thanks

Katie

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @andrewskl, I guess that your requirement is to create a large image that contains some photos arranged like tile. If so, the RasterMosaicker would still be useful to do that.

Move each photo (raster) to desired location in the local coordinate system of the destination large image and then mosaic them. The Offsetter transformer might help you to move the raster features.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

HI @andrewskl,

I will echo @takashi's answer here. The trick will be getting the images into the appropriate spots before using the RasterMosaicker. If all of the rasters are the same size the math should be pretty easy to figure out. If they are all a different sizes then the problem becomes more difficult. A good place to start here I think would be to use the BoundsExtractor and BoundingBoxRepalcor. This will give you the corner points of each image (x and y min and max) and should speed up testing the placement and viewing your layout. Here's a screen shot of what I mean. Once you think you have a layout that works then you can remove the BoundingBoxReaplcor for the real run.

Alternatively if you've happy to have them in a vertical list, you might want to think about creating an HTML report. You can use the HTMLReportGenerator for each image and then use the HTMLLayouter to vertically align the images into an HTML file.