Question

I want to place planning site drawings (not geocoded) onto an Ordnance Survey basemap?

• 29 November 2016
  • 7 replies

I want to place planning site drawings (not geocoded) onto an Ordnance Survey basemap where there are simalar reference ponts which could be used to fix the planning raster. Any ideas would be very useful. I am sure it can be done but I can't work oout where to start. Many thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 4

Have you looked at the RasterGeoreferencer?

Have you looked at the RasterGeoreferencer?

Yes. But the points in the planning jpeg raster are not the corner reference. I need for them to be features within the data that match the features on the ground.

There is the added complication of scale and size of image.

Badge +22

For similar situations I use the AffineWarper.

The ungeoreferenced image goes into the Observed port.

The control is a set of 2 vertex lines that have the first vertex as the reference point in the image in pixel space, and the second vertex as the same reference point in projection space.

So a pixel at R17,C249 might correspond to 34.175N, -127.643W and a pixel at R1024, C30 might correspond to 31.145N, -145.261W.

Your control would be two lines

[(249,17),(-127.643, 34.175)]

[(30,1024),(-145.261,31.145)]

This assumes that your site drawings are more or less internally consistent. If the drawings are not to scale, then the technique you are looking for is called Rubbersheeting and FME does not currently support it for rasters.

For similar situations I use the AffineWarper.

The ungeoreferenced image goes into the Observed port.

The control is a set of 2 vertex lines that have the first vertex as the reference point in the image in pixel space, and the second vertex as the same reference point in projection space.

So a pixel at R17,C249 might correspond to 34.175N, -127.643W and a pixel at R1024, C30 might correspond to 31.145N, -145.261W.

Your control would be two lines

[(249,17),(-127.643, 34.175)]

[(30,1024),(-145.261,31.145)]

This assumes that your site drawings are more or less internally consistent. If the drawings are not to scale, then the technique you are looking for is called Rubbersheeting and FME does not currently support it for rasters.
How do you set up the control. Tried as csv but not sure how. This raster working is new to me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
How do you set up the control. Tried as csv but not sure how. This raster working is new to me.

You would either use a Creator transformer to hardcode the values or - if you could get the info from somewhere else (like a CSV file) then use a VertexCreator transformer

You would either use a Creator transformer to hardcode the values or - if you could get the info from somewhere else (like a CSV file) then use a VertexCreator transformer

Mark,

Thanks for the advice but I have tried that and nothing is coming out.

It would be useful to have an example I could use to determine where I am going wrong.

I have to many band errors which I can't resolve

Badge +22

I have my my reference points in a CSV, I read it in, then use a vertexCreator (replace with point) with the image space coordinates, followed by another VertexCreator (Add point) with the projected space coordinates.

This gives me a line for every reference.