Question

Why is my user parameter dialog box slow to open?

• 11 September 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have a pretty simple FME program with a reader from an ESRI geodatabase, attribute manager and writer to the same geodatabase. If I'm adding user parameters for certain attributes, the dialog box will start taking several minutes to appear, and then to edit parameters, it can take even longer. On new parameters I add, it tries to pull up lookup tables as I enter a value, but it won't do that on my other parameters. Does anyone why the user parameter dialog box would take a log time to open? Thanks.

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi @wmwatson91,

For this one, I have to look behind the dialogs that are running slow and ask some questions there.

But first, is this a new thing that just started happening with this workspace? What version of FME are you using and what OS are you on?

Does it happen after a reboot of your system... all cleaned up with lots of free memory? Do you have lots of disk space? I know, why would that need disk space... but just checking on the general health of your system.

Let's go in another direction; Is this a new system that you have installed FME on? Are the specs reasonable?

Do you have any Virus Scanners or Defender software that could be causing a delay why your system determines files are safe?

Can you open your Windows Task Manager (forgive me if you use Mac OS or Linux, please use the equivalent - I'm a Mac user for the record), review if there are any processes that are using heavy CPU/Memory or IO (Disk Input Output).

Thank you for asking this question.

Badge

Hi, @steveatsafe

I recently upgraded to FME 2019. I tried to rewrite most of this from scratch in 2019, but I think I had to take the old writer from an older version in order to get it to work right.

I'm running the most current version of Windows 10 Professional with all updates.

I have an old system, but I keep it very healthy. There's about 200GB of free disk space. I have 8MB RAM. I'm running the 64-bit version of FME Desktop. It runs fine until I try to add the new user-defined attributes. I've written significantly more complex FME programs on here that run just fine whether I imported old modules or wrote them from scratch in 2019.

I'm running Bitdefender, but I have other users trying to do the same thing with different systems and different AV software, and they have the exact same problem when trying to add user attributes to this particular Attribute Manager.

There is nothing out of the ordinary in the Task Manager. Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi, @steveatsafe

I recently upgraded to FME 2019. I tried to rewrite most of this from scratch in 2019, but I think I had to take the old writer from an older version in order to get it to work right.

I'm running the most current version of Windows 10 Professional with all updates.

I have an old system, but I keep it very healthy. There's about 200GB of free disk space. I have 8MB RAM. I'm running the 64-bit version of FME Desktop. It runs fine until I try to add the new user-defined attributes. I've written significantly more complex FME programs on here that run just fine whether I imported old modules or wrote them from scratch in 2019.

I'm running Bitdefender, but I have other users trying to do the same thing with different systems and different AV software, and they have the exact same problem when trying to add user attributes to this particular Attribute Manager.

So this is the AttributeManager dialog. Just out of interest, how many attributes are we talking about? And how many feature types? Sometimes Workbench can slow down, but it would have to be an enormous amount of connections to make it this slow.

Badge

Hi, @steveatsafe

There are over 200 features types with about 50 attributes per feature type, but the attributes I'm trying to attribute are common to each one. I only have up to 10 user parameters in the dialog box. One of my co-workers said he could right-click on the FME workbench file and run the Quick Translator and it will run fine. It makes me wonder if there's a setting in Workbench that I can change when I'm trying to edit and test user parameters.

Badge +11

Hi, @steveatsafe

@wmwatson91, @mark2atsafe,

I just did a quick test against a SQL Server database, bringing in a large number of feature types, connected them all to the AttributeManager... and well I have a very slow FME Workbench.

I'll investigate more and let you know.

(my Virus Scanner suspicion was wrong again)

Badge

Hi, @steveatsafe

Thank you very much

Badge +11

Thank you very much

I've filed an issue (FMEENGINE-61469) to look into this.