Question

Clipping 3D shapefiles

Hello folks,

I am wondering whether there are any tools that can help me clip one 3D city model with another? This might be unusual thing to do, but its for analysis purposes (thesis). I want to substract one from another and vice versa to see differences between the two. Both files are in Shape format. Any way I can do that in FME?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

You could try and use the ChangeDetector on the geometry to find differences. You can also check for attributes. This will let you tell what buildings are different (based on a common ID).

If you want to do more of a visual comparison that sounds a little more tricky. You could perhaps use the 2DFootprintReplacer to get the footprint of the model in 2D and then somehow use the Clipper?

You could try and use the ChangeDetector on the geometry to find differences. You can also check for attributes. This will let you tell what buildings are different (based on a common ID).

If you want to do more of a visual comparison that sounds a little more tricky. You could perhaps use the 2DFootprintReplacer to get the footprint of the model in 2D and then somehow use the Clipper?

I am looking for visual differences only. I was trying 2D Forcing, tool u mention is not existent in my version.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I am looking for visual differences only. I was trying 2D Forcing, tool u mention is not existent in my version.

Hi @getern Sorry I meant the SurfaceFootprintReplacer. It essentially just generates the top down shadow of the objects. You should probably dissolve each dataset once you have the footprints in 2D with a Dissolver.

Hi @getern Sorry I meant the SurfaceFootprintReplacer. It essentially just generates the top down shadow of the objects. You should probably dissolve each dataset once you have the footprints in 2D with a Dissolver.

This is what I tried and few other combinations, parameteres tweaking with no luck. I am definitely too new to figure it out by myself. Could u, perhaps help with image of a workflow? That would be great.