Question

GeometryValidator

• 7 November 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge
Dear FME-community,

in the GeometryValidator, there are the two tests "Fails OGC Simple" and "Fails OGC Valid". Geometries that fail these tests are both not repairable.

Is there some way of knowing what kind of geometry error lays behind these OGC tests? The help text only refers to a 100 pages OGC document.

I found that there is a potential list entry with more information: list _issues{0}.supplementary_info

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Transformers/Default.htm#Transformers/geometryvalidator_issues.htm

Does anyone know how I can access this list entry? In the inspector it shows only the issue_found part, but not the supplementary info. I'm using FME Desktop 2013 SP2.

Kind regards

Thomas

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

this list exists as a so-called "trait" on each geometry part, not as a regular attribute. This is because some features have multiple geometries (donuts, aggregates, etc) that may all have different issues. This way the GeometryValidator can give precise feedback for each part of the geometry.

You can use a GeometryPropertyExtractor to push these traits up as attributes (Property to extract = Traits).

David

Userlevel 4
Btw, this is where you'll find these traits in the Inspector:

David
Badge
Thank you for your response David. I found the necessary informations in the list.

It seems that the issue "Self-Intersections in 2D" finds only interesections of a (single) line segment which interesects itself. The "Fails OGC Simple" issue seems to be more sensitive, as it also detects intersections of mulit-line-segments, which interesect themself. So if you have multi-lines in one geometry element which have duplciate points, the OGC Simple test will detect them.

Kind Regards

Thomas