Question

HTML ancestors

Badge +22
  • Contributor
  • 1961 replies

I have some html data that's in the structure 

<h2>Status</h2>
<h3>Place</h3>
<p><a name="1">Name</a></p> <p><a name="2">Name<blockquote><p>Description</p></blockquote></a></p> <h3>Place2</h3>
<p><a name="3">Name<blockquote><p>Description</p></blockquote></a></p>

but the Line Feeds are entirely erratic.

I need to have one feature per name anchor (which is easily enough done with the HTMLExtractor) but I also need to have the corresponding contents of the h2|h3 tags stored as attributes.

Normally I would read in the data line by line and use a TestFilter and variables to do so, but since the lines breaks don't match the data structure in any way, I'm not sure as to the best way to proceed.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jdh, I think it's hard to accomplish that with CSS Selectors.

A workaround I can think of is, collect all your interested elements with a StringSearcher and save them into a list attribute, explode the list, and then parse them line by line. If your interested elements are <h2>, <h3>, and <a>, this regex matches them, for example.

<h2.+?</h2>|<h3.+?</h3>|<a.+?</a>

Badge +22

Hi @jdh, I think it's hard to accomplish that with CSS Selectors.

A workaround I can think of is, collect all your interested elements with a StringSearcher and save them into a list attribute, explode the list, and then parse them line by line. If your interested elements are <h2>, <h3>, and <a>, this regex matches them, for example.

<h2.+?</h2>|<h3.+?</h3>|<a.+?</a>

That's definitely more elegant than solutions I was considering.

I did need to modify the regex to allow for closing tags split across multiple lines. ( I may have mentioned the Line Feeds were erratic).