Solved

How to truncate a spatialite table with a hack

• 10 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

FME has disabled truncating a Spatialite table, so I need a hack to do it anyway. I want it to exist so that other applications can read it after it is updated.

I need to truncate rather than drop_and_create to refresh the table with an insert because I have another transformer right afterwards doing an SQLExecutor that does a selection from a large table in the same sqlite database. It seems that a lock is added that prevents the drop/create.

So you might think that I could hack the truncate using SQLExecutor, but no! All database operators are disabled in FME for spatialite so the "DELETE FROM table" is not allowed.

Never mind I will use Python. Ah, but now that I am using FME 64 bit I need to use Python3.6 and that is now from Anaconda which does not have sqlite as a standard module for ArcGISPro, so my python hack also fails.

Well then, I will just shell out to sqlite.exe. But wait, FME implements it as sqlite_fme.dll, not a EXE.

I can truncate the table if I use a filegeodatabase but then I cannot run SQLExecutor because a filegeodatabase does not have an SQL interface. That leaves me reading the whole table and doing a databaseJoin which takes 100 times longer and is too long (5 minutes v 13 seconds) for a real-time application.

The simple solution is for FME to upgrade the Spatialite/Sqlite writers to be fully SQL compliant. There is already an old 2017 idea posted for that, hence the need for a hack.

icon

Best answer by kimo 14 September 2018, 00:19

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi @kimo. Thanks for raising this issue with us. We are aware of this current limitation, and will notify you here when we have any updates on the enhancement.

I see that you've found and commented on some previous threads related to this problem:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/50230/sql-executor-and-spatialite-delete-or-drop-command.html https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/50358/improve-sqlexecutor-to-operate-the-same-way-on-all.html?

One potential hack we found is to use the following SQL query structure:

[command SQL that we want to accomplish]; [trivial query SQL]

Example:

`DELETE FROM table_1; SELECT 'meaningless' FROM table_1`

Hope this helps a little.

Badge +1

Hi @kimo. Thanks for raising this issue with us. We are aware of this current limitation, and will notify you here when we have any updates on the enhancement.

I see that you've found and commented on some previous threads related to this problem:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/50230/sql-executor-and-spatialite-delete-or-drop-command.html https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/50358/improve-sqlexecutor-to-operate-the-same-way-on-all.html?

One potential hack we found is to use the following SQL query structure:

[command SQL that we want to accomplish]; [trivial query SQL]

Example:

`DELETE FROM table_1; SELECT 'meaningless' FROM table_1`

Hope this helps a little.

Ingenious, but it does not work for me. The message is "SPATIALITE reader: In ExecuteSQL(): sqlite3_step(delete from bus_current;select trip_id from bus_current): attempt to write a readonly database SPATIALITE reader: Unable to execute SQL statement 'delete from bus_current;select trip_id from bus_current'

SPATIALITE reader: Unable to read feature type '__fme_execute_sql_results__'

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details"

Badge +1
Postscript: This is how I solved my truncate.

1. Download an executable sqlite3.exe. Save locally, no need to install any software with admin permissions etc. I found a 32bit version which is fine, even when everything else is 64bit.

2. Remove all readers and writers calling the sqlite file. Only use a FeatureWriter and SQLExecutor to access the sqlite file. Thus I only have the two tables required. One small key table that is truncated and refreshed, the other large more static table. All other tables are read from and written to a different database.

3. Use a python startup script that calls a subprocess that calls sqlite3 with a parameterised 'DELETE FROM table'

See below the suggestion from Xiaomeng to slip through the read-only check. I could not get it to work though.

4. Speed to call an HTTP feed of current bus locations ( ~ 2000), build a dynamic route network subset based on the timetable, solve it and compare scheduled to predicted times: 13 seconds. Note it is predicted time needed, not just actual. Once the bus arrives late for a connection it is too late to take action. Also bus times are not affected the same way as general traffic because of priority bus lanes.

Badge +2
Ingenious, but it does not work for me. The message is "SPATIALITE reader: In ExecuteSQL(): sqlite3_step(delete from bus_current;select trip_id from bus_current): attempt to write a readonly database SPATIALITE reader: Unable to execute SQL statement 'delete from bus_current;select trip_id from bus_current'

SPATIALITE reader: Unable to read feature type '__fme_execute_sql_results__'

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details"

@kimo Sorry that this little hack didn't work for you. However, I'm glad to see you've figured out a workaround for now.

We will provide updates here, when we make any enhancements on this issue. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this issue.

Badge +10

Hi @kimo​ ,

I'm please to let you know that a recent update to FME 2020.2 beta (build 20709 and newer) has enabled SQL executing statements for the SpatiaLite format in the SQLCreator and SQLExecutor. We now support more than read-only SQL statements when using the SpatiaLite format (eg. INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE/CREATE/DROP).

You can find the latest beta build here: www.safe.com/beta

- Andrea