Question

DXF (or DWG) to XML

• 1 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

I'm trying to import a Microstation cell library as symbology in QGIS. I've managed to change the .cel files (the cell library) to a dxf file. I've also managed to convert that dxf file to xml in FME, with just a reader and a writer (no transformers). The translation went succesfull acooording to FME. However, when I import the symbology in QGIS, I get an error:

Incorrect root tag in style: fme:xml-tables.

What am I doing wrong? Should I use some kind of transformer?

I just applied the default parameters/settings when translating. Should I change a setting in order fot the translation to succeed?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

How does QGIS want that XML to be structured? What should its contents be?

If you have an example of that you could use the XMLTemplater to build the XML the hard way, for specific purposes like this that's probably best, the standard XML writer will take what it gets as input and put that in XML, but if you need specific and strict schema's it may not be sufficient.

I'm also wondering if there isn't an easier way to achieve this. Can QGIS use SVG symbols?

Badge

How does QGIS want that XML to be structured? What should its contents be?

If you have an example of that you could use the XMLTemplater to build the XML the hard way, for specific purposes like this that's probably best, the standard XML writer will take what it gets as input and put that in XML, but if you need specific and strict schema's it may not be sufficient.

I'm also wondering if there isn't an easier way to achieve this. Can QGIS use SVG symbols?

When you want to import (point) symbology in QGIS, which is what I want to do, QGIS only accepts XML. That's why I want to change these .cel files to XML. So no, I don't think QGIS is able to accept SVG, but don't quote me on it.

I don't have specifics on how QGIS wants the XML file to be structured, but I'm going to play around with the XMLTemplater to see if that works.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
When you want to import (point) symbology in QGIS, which is what I want to do, QGIS only accepts XML. That's why I want to change these .cel files to XML. So no, I don't think QGIS is able to accept SVG, but don't quote me on it.

I don't have specifics on how QGIS wants the XML file to be structured, but I'm going to play around with the XMLTemplater to see if that works.

Yeah, I get the impression QGIS wants a really specific XML schema, see if you can get a sample of that. "XML" basically just indicates the file was structured in XML but says nothing about the schema.

And fwiw, QGIS can actually work with SVG symbols, looks like you can import them through the style option in the layer properties.

Badge
Yeah, I get the impression QGIS wants a really specific XML schema, see if you can get a sample of that. "XML" basically just indicates the file was structured in XML but says nothing about the schema.

And fwiw, QGIS can actually work with SVG symbols, looks like you can import them through the style option in the layer properties.

Okay, I see QGIS does work with SVG.. Is there a way then to convert DWG or DXF to SVG in FME? I've tried, but when I upload that SVG, I don't see the symbology in QGIS. It does load the symbology for other (free) SVG files that I downloaded from the web.