Question

Does FME have simplified model capabilities?

• 1 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi.

My model is complicated and I need to simplify it.If FME can do the job, I will be grateful.

Thanks a lot.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Just for clarification, what do you mean by "model"? An FME Workspace or a 3D model of a building or something like that?

Badge

Just for clarification, what do you mean by "model"? An FME Workspace or a 3D model of a building or something like that?

My model is a BIM model, the format is fbx.The model has a large number of faces, so when converting 3d tiles format, the 3d tiles files are large. The model has a large number of faces, so when converting 3d tiles format, the 3d tiles files are large. I want to know if the model has been streamlined while FME reads fbx files. I would like to know whether FME supports further simplification of the model.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @zhengsy,

3D surface generalization tools are something we are working towards in upcoming versions of FME, but do not have in the current version.

Badge

Hi @zhengsy,

3D surface generalization tools are something we are working towards in upcoming versions of FME, but do not have in the current version.

hi,

I understand, I hope FME can do better and better.

Badge +11

Update to this thread for anyone still seeking an answer, as of the 2018.0 release, we now have the MeshSimplifier.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26
My model is a BIM model, the format is fbx.The model has a large number of faces, so when converting 3d tiles format, the 3d tiles files are large. The model has a large number of faces, so when converting 3d tiles format, the 3d tiles files are large. I want to know if the model has been streamlined while FME reads fbx files. I would like to know whether FME supports further simplification of the model.

Hi @zhengsy,

just as a tip, you can use a Deaggregator to split the fbx model up into multiple parts. After that in the 3DTiles writer se the number of features per tile to something small. This will allow the model to be streamed in smaller chunks. It makes for a better user experience.