Question

FME Workbench as SAAS

Badge +8

Hi, would it be possible to use FME Workbench in a SAAS scenario? I am aware of the FME Cloud solution which is great, yet I would like to "rent" FME Workbench to develop workspaces (for publishing them to FME Cloud..." or just run any translation. Or would I have to create a Docker container and use that? In that case it's good to know that I have a customer that does not use the Docker/AWS cloud environments. Thanx for any comments.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Currently? I don't believe so. But the question of whether Docker containers or cloud machines like AWS would work is actually more of a sales question than technical one. We use AWS for creating training machines, for example, so it's really just a case of licensing. You should perhaps talk to your sales/partner contacts at Safe to see if what's possible and if there are special conditions. Right now I don't think we do that sort of pay-as-you-go licensing for Desktop, but there are perhaps other options we can suggest.

Eventually - just like FME Cloud is a hosted FME Server - I wouldn't be surprised to see an equivalent FME Desktop hosted in a web browser! You only have to look at the advances in and direction of technology to see what the future is likely to be. But in the meantime I suggest emailing your sales/partner contact at Safe and letting us know your requirements. We're very flexible.

Badge +8

Hi Mark, thanx for the hint, @atsukofroats already contacted me regarding this. What you mentioned however, an equivalent to FME Desktop hosted n a web browser was exactly what I had in mind. In the mean time I pointed out the customer to the info in this item.