Question

exporting FME settings

• 10 September 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have moved to a new machine and have had to install FME on the new machine.

Is there a way of exporting all my settings and database connections to install on my new machine or do I have to set it all up from scratch again?

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @sebkingsley, I don't think the Idea has been implemented yet unfortunately.

Backup/Restore FME Options Configuration

You can export/import individual connections one by one. In the FME Options dialog, To export a connection, in the FME Options dialog, right-click on the connection > Export.

Badge +1

Hi @sebkingsley, I don't think the Idea has been implemented yet unfortunately.

Backup/Restore FME Options Configuration

You can export/import individual connections one by one. In the FME Options dialog, To export a connection, in the FME Options dialog, right-click on the connection > Export.

Thanks @takashi that will help.

Badge +9

The default settings for readers/writers/transformers can be found here:

C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Roaming\\Safe Software\\FME\\defaults.db

I dunno if you could copy that to your new machine but it might be worth a try. (it's a SQLite database so you can read it with FME)

Badge +1

The default settings for readers/writers/transformers can be found here:

C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Roaming\\Safe Software\\FME\\defaults.db

I dunno if you could copy that to your new machine but it might be worth a try. (it's a SQLite database so you can read it with FME)

Thanks that has helped.

Badge +1

Hi @sebkingsley and takashi

To export/import all you your database connections at once go to Tools > FME Options > Database Connections. Click on one of the connections then Ctrl + A to select all the connections. Right click and select Export. Under export file select where you want to save the file and give it a name. Also you need to provide a password for the file. Open up your new FME on your new machine go to Database Connections and this time right click and import. Browse to the file. Make sure that you select file with extension .xml.enc

Exporting and importing will be the correct way to move connections.

When you copy from the user profile, the keys should also need to be copied along with database connections. otherwise encryption keys will not work.

Badge +2

@bubblebeb​ You should be able to copy the fme_connections.data file which will be located somewhere like: C:\\Users\\<user>\\AppData\\Roaming As mentioned above, copy the key files as well.

You can use a shared folder so this doesn't happen again. See the documentation