Solved

FeatureReader with Oracle Spatial Object - can't specify geometry

• 14 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

Hi,

I am trying to query 40 Oracle Spatial tables within a bounding area using the FeatureReader where each table has multiple geometries but not all geometries have spatial indexes. Unfortunately only the geometries I am going to query have the indexes so I can't use the multiple geometries option. Adding the additional indexes is a lot of work for the complete electric and gas databases.

It seems that with the FeatureReader transformer you cannot use Oracle Spatial Object and also specify the geometry column. Is this still correct or have I missed something? I'm using version 2015.0 as our FME Server is 2015.0 but I've also checked in version 2016.

I see this post in 2013 but this is a lot of work as I have 40 tables with multiple geometries and I need information such as the oracle_orientation.

I think I will have to resort to the WorkspaceRunner and somehow pass the AOI geometry into the second workspace as described here.

Thanks,

Annette

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 21 February 2017, 05:21

View original

4 replies

Badge +16

Hoi @annette2, In the Advanced parameters you can specify to handle multiple spatial columns, but not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Using FME 2016.1

Hope this helps.

Another option would be to send a SQL to the database, but my guess is that you already thought about that ...:)

Badge +8

Hoi @annette2, In the Advanced parameters you can specify to handle multiple spatial columns, but not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Using FME 2016.1

Hope this helps.

Another option would be to send a SQL to the database, but my guess is that you already thought about that ...:)

Thanks Itay - unfortunately the handle multiple spatial columns doesn't work with a search envelope unless every geometry in the table has a spatial index applied. And not all geometries have a spatial index :(

Yeah the SQL query would be complex. Trying the workspace runner at the moment. Nothing like a challenge :)

Badge +2

@annette2 Unfortunately, there isn't a workaround. If you use the WorkspaceRunner as you suggest. Then you'll be able to pass the bounding box to the child workspace and set the MBR (Search envelope) on the Oracle Reader as well as set the geometry column on the individual feature types. Let us know through safe.com/support if you need help with the WorkspaceRunner approach

Badge +8

@annette2 Unfortunately, there isn't a workaround. If you use the WorkspaceRunner as you suggest. Then you'll be able to pass the bounding box to the child workspace and set the MBR (Search envelope) on the Oracle Reader as well as set the geometry column on the individual feature types. Let us know through safe.com/support if you need help with the WorkspaceRunner approach

Thanks Mark. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. I'm working with an export of Smallworld data hence the multiple geometries.

I have the Workspace runner working in the Desktop version.

Is submitting an idea the best way to make a future change request; or do I go through the reseller?

Thanks and hope all is well. Annette