Question

SpatialFilter rejects candidates even though they intersect

• 19 August 2016
  • 5 replies

I am using the SpatialFilter transformer to split a large dataset into two shapefiles. I have tried every configuration within the SpatialFilter however it keeps rejecting some of the Candidate polygons. The strange thing is that if I add a BoundingBoxReplacer before the SpatialFilter it works fine, however it outputs the bounding box and I need the original feature output. I have tried using the 'Use Boudning Box: For Candidates Only' but get the same rejection.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @richie, which version of FME are you using? The SpatialFilter in FME 2015 and earlier does not support aggregate geometries e.g. multi-part polygon. Check the version and geometry type of the rejected features with Data Inspector (Feature Information pane).

Badge

Hi @richie, which version of FME are you using? The SpatialFilter in FME 2015 and earlier does not support aggregate geometries e.g. multi-part polygon. Check the version and geometry type of the rejected features with Data Inspector (Feature Information pane).

That's useful takashi, I had just realised why my polygons were being rejected when I read this. Do you know if later versions of FME will allow multi-part polygons? My version is 2015.1.1.0 (20150715 - Build 15515 - WIN32)

Badge +16

Hi @masoj1,

In case you don't have a newer version, you could de aggregate the features before testing them.

The latest transformer documentation shows that aggregates are supported.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/spatialfilter.htm?Highlight=Spatial%20filter

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
That's useful takashi, I had just realised why my polygons were being rejected when I read this. Do you know if later versions of FME will allow multi-part polygons? My version is 2015.1.1.0 (20150715 - Build 15515 - WIN32)

Hi @masoj1, the SpatialFilter in FME 2016.0 or later supports aggregate/multi geometries.

Badge
Hi @masoj1, the SpatialFilter in FME 2016.0 or later supports aggregate/multi geometries.

That's great - very useful to know, thank you.