Solved

Drawing order DWG files

Badge

Hi everyone,

I wonder if there is a possibility to figure out the drawing order of features within an AutoCAD-Layer. I haven't found any format-attributes about that.

kind regards,

Thomas

icon

Best answer by lars_de_vries 6 July 2017, 11:33

View original

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi Thomas,

isn't the drawing order defined by the order features are written? You could test whether changing the writing order would also change the drawing order. I would expect that the last feature written will show up on top.

Is there a way in AutoCAD to change the drawing order within a layer or even within a drawing? If so, it might be an option to post an idea for adding such a parameter to the writer.

Badge

Hi Thomas,

isn't the drawing order defined by the order features are written? You could test whether changing the writing order would also change the drawing order. I would expect that the last feature written will show up on top.

Is there a way in AutoCAD to change the drawing order within a layer or even within a drawing? If so, it might be an option to post an idea for adding such a parameter to the writer.

Hi Lars,

nice to hear from you. Obviously you survived the Rocky Mountains ;)

Yeah, this is usual the case and there might be an option in AutoCAD to change the order, so that earlier drawed objects can be on top of those that has been drawn later. As there are no such format attributes in FME, I guess there is no chance to find that out. I will clearify how that works in AutoCAD and post an idea.

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi, I confirm the expectation of lars, that the last feature written will show up on top. You have to sort the features before you write it on CAD File. At the moment there are no parameters for drawing order.

Badge +6

Hi @ThomasAtAxmann,

Thank you for sharing your idea regarding DWG drawing order (https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/47427/format-attributes-for-autocad-drawing-order.html) - we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve FME!