Question

Python Script will not run as Startup Script but runs in IDLE

• 13 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi All,

I have a python script that runs successfully in IDLE, but when I copy and paste the same script into the startup python script box in my workbench the script fails.

Below is the script:

# Import modules

import arcpy

import arcgisscripting

import arceditor

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

arcpy.env.workspace = "C:\\Users\\GRAUP\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.3\\ArcCatalog\\Connection to NRGISSQLS03 WWW_GIS USER.sde\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.WastewaterDataset"# Local variables:

www_gis_GIS_ADMIN_RMoN_San_GravityMain = "C:\\Users\\GRAUP\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.3\\ArcCatalog\\Connection to NRGISSQLS03 WWW_GIS USER.sde\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.WastewaterDataset\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.RMoN_San_GravityMain"

RMoN_San_GravityMain_Route_Output = "H:\\\\O.10_Operating_Projects\\\\Linear_Referencing\\\\Reference\\\\Linear Referencing Shannon Working\\\\Linear_Referencing_Working.gdb\\\\RMoN_San_GravityMain_Route_sde_connection" # Process: Create Routes arcpy.CreateRoutes_lr(www_gis_GIS_ADMIN_RMoN_San_GravityMain, "GISOBJID", RMoN_San_GravityMain_Route_Output, "LENGTH", "", "", "UPPER_LEFT", "1", "0", "IGNORE", "INDEX")

Below is the error I get when trying to run in start-up in my workbench:

Python Exception <ExecuteError>: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.

ERROR 000732: Input Line Features: Dataset C:\\Users\\GRAUP\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.3\\ArcCatalog\\Connection to NRGISSQLS03 WWW_GIS USER.sde\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.WastewaterDataset\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.RMoN_San_GravityMain does not exist or is not supported

WARNING 000725: Output Route Feature Class: Dataset H:\\O.10_Operating_Projects\\Linear_Referencing\\Reference\\Linear Referencing Shannon Working\\Linear_Referencing_Working.gdb\\RMoN_San_GravityMain_Route_sde_connection already exists.

Failed to execute (CreateRoutes).

Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before or has ideas to what the cause is.

Thanks.

2 replies

Badge +16

It may be the interpreter, is it Python 3? Try raw string:

www_gis_GIS_ADMIN_RMoN_San_GravityMain = r"C:\\Users\\GRAUP\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.3\\ArcCatalog\\Connection to NRGISSQLS03 WWW_GIS USER.sde\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.WastewaterDataset\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.RMoN_San_GravityMain"

"\\U" might look like unicode.

It may be the interpreter, is it Python 3? Try raw string:

www_gis_GIS_ADMIN_RMoN_San_GravityMain = r"C:\\Users\\GRAUP\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.3\\ArcCatalog\\Connection to NRGISSQLS03 WWW_GIS USER.sde\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.WastewaterDataset\\\\www_gis.GIS_ADMIN.RMoN_San_GravityMain"

"\\U" might look like unicode.

I have a custom interpreter set up - the one with ESRI so that python can run the geoprocessing tools. I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 so the python interpreter is 2.7

Unfortunately raw string did not work, and the same error came up :( Thank you for the suggestion!