Question

How to define an ESRI geodatabase field nullable using an external schema table definition?

• 2 September 2016
  • 3 replies

I have defined a schema file in a spreadsheet that is added in the Workspace Resources (Schema - From Table) to be used as Schema Source for my writer Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb API). Where or how can I define fields that can or cannot store NULL values?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Writing to an ESRI GDB has the option to use a template. If you define the tables in ArcCatalog and save it as GDB, you can use that GDB as template (including the table definitions).

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I filed this as an enhancement request with our developers. The reference number is PR#72063

However, to me it sounds like a pretty tough function to ask. I can't see it being added in the near future.

I'll see if anyone else at Safe has an idea.

Writing to an ESRI GDB has the option to use a template. If you define the tables in ArcCatalog and save it as GDB, you can use that GDB as template (including the table definitions).

I didn’t find the option to use a template when writing to ESRI GDB. I’m using FME2015 with no ArcGIS installed. Anyway I have tried to use an empty GDB as a schema for my writer and it doesn’t keep the settings for nullable fields. My writer is defined with Feature Type Definition as Dynamic and Schema Definition (under Dynamic Properties) as the empty ESRI GDB file with the proper settings loaded in Workspace Resources.