Question

HTTPCaller - transfer timeout with proxy server

• 2 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

I'm having problems running a HTTPCaller with a particular request on a terminal server with a proxy in place. No matter how long I set the transfer timeout for it always gets a transfer error when it reaches that timeout value.

I know this request works because I've tried it on my local machine and it completes in about 8mins (timeout set to 15mins). The only difference I can think of is that my local machine doesn't need to go through a proxy whereas the terminal server does.

I also know that a different request to the same web service on the terminal server work fine too so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the proxy server. This other request that I run completes in a matter of seconds, it is just the request that takes a long time to complete that won't work.

The error in the log looks like this:

HTTPCaller_3(HTTPFactory): HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Timeout was reached'HTTPCaller_3(HTTPFactory): Please ensure that your network connection is properly set upHTTPCaller_3(HTTPFactory): Please ensure the following proxy information is correct. The current proxy is: 'REDACTED'The below feature caused the translation to be terminated

Do you know what else I can check to determine what is causing this? I've asked the person who manages the web service and they can see the connection at their end.

Thank you,

Peter.

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Where it says "REDACTED", does it actually state the correct proxy host in your log?

What happens if you try to use the HTTPCaller to retrieve the contents of e.g. www.google.com? If that works, it could be that your proxy has an issue with the timeout.

Also, can I just say that a response time of 8 minutes is enormous, is it really supposed to take that long?

Badge

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the correct proxy host is showing in the logs.

I asked the person who manages the web service because I thought it was taking a very long time but they were expecting it to be even longer...

Retrieving the contents of www.google.com works fine so I'll go back to the team looking after the proxy and raise an issue with them.

Thanks again,

Peter.