Question

Microstation Symbology from Oracle to PostGIS

• 6 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

We have an Oracle (Locator) Database, where we have stored geometric objects that were generated through Microstation. The database also contains attributes pertaining to the symbology of the objects. These attributes are:

- a style column which contains a number

- an angle column, which is set to 0 for non- point geometries

- X-scale column, which is set to 0 for non point-geometries

-Y- scale column, which is set to 0 for non point-geometries

-a cellname column, which is null for non point geomtries, but contains the name of the DGN cell/symbology used for point geometries

Posting these attributes to another database (PostGIS for example) is not a problem. However, when reading this database in another (GIS) application, how do I get to see the same symbology?

Is it something I need to set in the FME workspace, by setting somewhere that these attributes need to be interpreted as special symbology attributes? Or is it something I need to set within the GIS application itself?

How do I even go about it?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @fmenco: Generally speaking, I would imagine that you would need to become familiar with how the GIS application(s) of interest handle symbologies, and, if it's possible to symbolize based on attributes, structure your PostGIS data accordingly. Do you have some specific GIS applications in mind, that might help folks provide you with some more tips.

Does anyone else have any insight that might help @fmenco?

Badge

Hi @fmenco: Generally speaking, I would imagine that you would need to become familiar with how the GIS application(s) of interest handle symbologies, and, if it's possible to symbolize based on attributes, structure your PostGIS data accordingly. Do you have some specific GIS applications in mind, that might help folks provide you with some more tips.

Does anyone else have any insight that might help @fmenco?

Thanks for the response. Well, I don't really have a particular GIS application in mind, but I guess you can say the "usual suspects" GIS applications like ArcGIS or QGIS.

I think the problem I have is that when posting to another database, this database is not able to understand that those "style attributes" are actually related to the symbology.Whenever I access the data from A GIS applications, the symbology (line, and pointcolor) is different every time. How do I set it that this symbology is:

1. fixed

2. the same as the CAD symbology.

When reading the Oracle data, there is an option to "apply mapinfo symbology". I always select that option, but it doesn't seem to do anything since the symbology is different every time.

Badge +16

Thanks for the response. Well, I don't really have a particular GIS application in mind, but I guess you can say the "usual suspects" GIS applications like ArcGIS or QGIS.

I think the problem I have is that when posting to another database, this database is not able to understand that those "style attributes" are actually related to the symbology.Whenever I access the data from A GIS applications, the symbology (line, and pointcolor) is different every time. How do I set it that this symbology is:

1. fixed

2. the same as the CAD symbology.

When reading the Oracle data, there is an option to "apply mapinfo symbology". I always select that option, but it doesn't seem to do anything since the symbology is different every time.

Hi @fmenco,

Each GIS application has a different way to symbolize features, you need to get familiar with the GIS application you are going to use and the way it uses symbology. https://docs.qgis.org/2.8/en/docs/training_manual/basic_map/symbology.html

Then you can create symbology files and apply them to your data. This will display the data according to the symbology defined in the file (aka the same each time)