Question

How to pass data from one workbench to the next workbench

• 15 September 2017
  • 2 replies

I am trying to chain together multiple workbenches so that when one workbench finishes making changes to my data, that changed data will be passed on to the next workbench. I am using a WorkspaceRunner at the end of the first workbench to begin the next workbench. I have been trying to find information on how to read the data from that WorkspaceRunner into the next workbench, but have been unable to find any clear information about how to do this.

What reader should I use or steps do I need to make to accomplish this?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @aaronfisher82,

Has a interesting link Output Attributes.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @aaronfisher82, two possible solutions.
  • Create another workspace that contains two WorkspaceRunners in series to run the two workspaces consecutively. Set the same dataset (file path) to the Destination dataset parameter in the first workspace and the Source dataset parameter in the second workspace. Make sure that the Wait for Job to Complete parameter in the first WorkspaceRunner is set to "Yes".
  • Or, if you are using FME 2016+, in the first workspace, use a FeatureWriter transformer to write the changed dataset, and connect the WorkspaceRunner to run the second workspace. Since the FeatuerWriter outputs Summary feature which contain the destination dataset name as attribute after writing comleted, you can pass it to the subsequent WorkspaceRunner as the source dataset for the second workspace.

There should be some considerations depending on the format of the destination dataset from the first workspace (= the source dataset for the second workspace).