Question

Does FME support the "Climate FieldView" .DAT file format?

• 1 March 2019
  • 5 replies

I have receive field application and harvest maps (.dat) from Climate FieldView. I am quite certain these are raster images and they don't appear to be compatible with any of the existing FME formats. I believe they may be of the same format used by SST Summit, MapShots AgStudio, SSI Agvance Mapping, AgIntegrated. Does anyone have experience with reading these files?

Ideally, we would like to get them into a format where we could show them as historical reference files (GeoTiff, etc.) within an app that is currently using WKT and MySQL Spatial.

5 replies

Badge +1

Hi Dave, any chance you can open an example file using notepad++ or sublime text and screengrab the header rows of the file for us? Or provide us a copy to investigate?

Have dealt with forestry harvesting files in the past and for a while they were just ascii , xml and some other manageable formats.

Here's a screen grab of the code ...

Badge +2

It doesn't look like FME supports Climate Fieldview. It looks like the format originates with The Climate Corp. More sample data is at the bottom of their developerspage: https://dev.fieldview.com/technical-documentation/

Badge +4

@davebranson have you checked if the data can be exported out of FieldView in other formats?

I was able to open the dat file using DATA file format reader in FME 2019 (beta) Data Inspector

Badge

Hi Dave, I'm curious, have you had any success with reading the Climate View data? I haven't worked with ClimateView, but I have had success pulling data from Raven and John Deere devices via their API's. They both allow downloading a .shp file. I think Case does as well, but haven't used them yet.