Question

shared directories

• 18 January 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

we are installing a new FME-Server on a new server.

We was allowed to use the drives C: and D: at our old Server. On our PC's we're allowed to use D:, F:, I: and so on. So I use the folder D:\\Anwendungen for my Config-Files and those files, where a couple of workbenches can read results or write results.

Unfortunally we are allowed to use drives C: and E: for reading and writing at new Server.

I thought about to use the shared directories of the FME-Server, but how can I use these folders with FME-Desktop on my PC ?

Thanks for Ideas

Barbara

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi @barbara,

Thanks for posting on our new community!

I'm not sure I'm clear on the requirements. Let's ignore for a moment where you can write on your local system. It sounds this isn't going to happen.

What is it you need to accomplish?

1)I interpret from your question that you want to read and write from the same places that FME Server are reading from (so both are using the same source data, and can write to the same location). If so, this sounds like a Shared Folder (operating system shared folder)? So you'd want to decide on a location (which server) and create shared folder, then you can refer to this location using UNC paths (//<computer1/shared/folder/read_data_share and maybe a second common location //<computer1/shared/folder/write_data_share). You must use UNC paths and not mapped drives.

Also what version of FME software are you using (and hopefully both FME Desktop and FME Server are the same version)?

2) If you are referring to using the FME Server Shared Resources folders, like Data for example... then I would recommend adding a new Shared Resource folder (or 2) that points to an OS Shared folder location. This way FME Desktop would use a UNC path (FME Server could use this also) or using FME Server's Web UI...you could navigate to the Shared Resources when selecting data source or setting the destination. (Review this FME Server Doc on adding Shared Resources - and expand "Adding and Modifying Top-Level Folders")

Steve

Badge

Sorry, for my late answer.

I solved this problem by this action:

I use the fme-server-parameter in the workbench. I fill the parameter FME-Server-Data with "D:"

the I created a publish-parameter. It's value is:

$(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA)\\SDE-Verbindung\\ALKIS-Dataport.sde

So , if I run the workbench with FME-Desktop, the publish-Parameter is:

D:\\SDE-Verbindung\\ALKIS-Dataport.sde.

If I run the workbench with FME-Server, the FME-Server-Data-path +

\\SDE-Verbindung\\ALKIS-Dataport.sde

is the windows-path to SDE-Connection on the FME-Server.

Sorry, my English is not good.

Userlevel 4

The parameter FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA is undefined in FME Desktop and if you reference it there you will get an empty string.

I usually solve this by creating a Python scripted parameter e.g. called "GET_SHAREDRESOURCE_PATH":

if FME_MacroValues.get('FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA', None):
    return FME_MacroValues['FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA']
else:
    return FME_MacroValues['FME_MF_DIR']

It will return FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA when the workspace is running on FME Server, otherwise it will return the directory where your .fmw file is located.

You can then use this parameter to reference connection files etc, e.g.:

$(GET_SHAREDRESOURCE_PATH)\SDE-Verbindung\ALKIS-Dataport.sde