Question

.las to stl

• 6 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

@athorsby1

4 replies

Badge +7

Hi @athorsby1, thanks for your question!

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you're trying to achieve with your LAS to STL translation? This is definitely achievable in FME. The STL writer should take a surface or solid geometry, which can be modelled from a point cloud. Check out the simple workspace template I've attached for an idea of how to set this up. And please comment if you have further questions.

Best,

Nathan

las2stl.fmwt

Badge

Nathan,

Have had mixed result with the desktop setup. One question: what measurement units may I choose? the one successful translation measured in meters not feet and Solidworks could not convert it.

Badge

Hi @athorsby1, thanks for your question!

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you're trying to achieve with your LAS to STL translation? This is definitely achievable in FME. The STL writer should take a surface or solid geometry, which can be modelled from a point cloud. Check out the simple workspace template I've attached for an idea of how to set this up. And please comment if you have further questions.

Best,

Nathan

las2stl.fmwt

may I change output units to US Feet?

Badge +7

Nathan,

Have had mixed result with the desktop setup. One question: what measurement units may I choose? the one successful translation measured in meters not feet and Solidworks could not convert it.

Hi @athorsby1,

The units should be defined by the coordinate system of your dataset. You may need to use the Reprojector to pick a coordinate system that uses feet instead of meters.

Hope this helps.

Nathan