Solved

Will FME ever support complex appearances (when translating 3D formats)?

• 11 February 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

Lots of 3D formats support complex appearances (materials) that not only have a main texture, but also contain a bump map, alpha map etc.

Until now, I have only been working with singular textures, but in the near future I might need to deal with complex appearances too.

According to the documentation, an appearance can only reference 1 texture. However, in the FME Objects Python API, I did notice that the FMEAppearance class contains a getMapperReference(mapperType) method, which seems to be exactly the thing I need. Unfortunately, when I try it out with a PythonCaller, it tells me that it doesn't take arguments (so no mapperType) and if I call it without parameters it just crashes or stops the translation without a failure message. So I guess this hasn't been implemented yet... :(

Are there any plans to support multiple texture maps soon? I guess it would also mean that all the 3D format readers need to be enhanced so that they actually translate this information correctly...
icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 16 February 2016, 17:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi Sander @sander_s

I've looked this up and I think you are the first user to ask for this. We have an enhancement request in with our development team, but it doesn't have a very high priority.

Anyway, I've added your contact information so that you are contacted if and when we implement this. For your information, the reference number is PR#21724

I added your comments and will let you know if the developers have anything to say about the Python API.

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Badge +7

Hi Sander @sander_s

I've looked this up and I think you are the first user to ask for this. We have an enhancement request in with our development team, but it doesn't have a very high priority.

Anyway, I've added your contact information so that you are contacted if and when we implement this. For your information, the reference number is PR#21724

I added your comments and will let you know if the developers have anything to say about the Python API.

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Thanks @Mark2AtSafe!

I already had the impression I might be one of the first ones asking for this...

On the other hand, this might be a good opportunity to make FME more popular among 3D enthusiasts, especially since GIS and 3D are getting more intertwined these days! :)