Question

TIP: Suddenly FME won't read CSV file(s) in Zip file

• 20 April 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

FME 2017.0, CSV2 Reader reading 10 million records from 2 CSVs: X:\\Folder\\MyZIP_*.zip\\Data\\*_AA.csv,X:\\Folder\\MyZip_*.zip\\Data\\*_BB.csv

It worked fine for a while, then suddenly stopped working.

I tried making sure I wasn't in the Zip file in Windows Explorer, rebooted, and purged temporary files, but nothing solved the problem. So I had a look in FME_TEMP and found a few files and folders still there. After closing FME, I deleted most of the contents of FME_TEMP (I kept some FMXs). After that, the Workspace started working again! I wondered if the problem was a folder called something like FME_TempFileStore which was too big to go in the recycle bin.

So it seems that purging temporary files doesn't purge everything. Not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour but I thought I'd share this as a tip if you find something has stopped working for apparently no reason. Obviously care needs to be taken when deleting stuff from FME_TEMP, particularly in a production environment.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Feels like we need to investigate this. I'll ask the team to check into this situation.

Badge +7

Feels like we need to investigate this. I'll ask the team to check into this situation.

Thanks @daleatsafe

Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what steps led to this scenario as I was doing various things related and unrelated to this before I cleared out the temp files.