Solved

How to capture writer feature count per feature type?

• 28 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Is there a generic way to extract the feature count for each feature type in the writer? For example, I would like to capture this information either in the same workspace, or from the log file's Feature Written Summary section. I would like to capture this info for each updated feature type to a central location for review and reporting. Most of our FME processes are running on FME server.

icon

Best answer by david_r 28 January 2019, 15:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

By far the easiest (in my opinion) is to use the FeatureWriter rather than the regular writers. You can then use a ListExploder on the Summary _feature_type{} list, which will contain the counts for each feature type. You can then pass those values to a second FeatureWriter or a regular writer to update whatever it is you need.

Badge +4

By far the easiest (in my opinion) is to use the FeatureWriter rather than the regular writers. You can then use a ListExploder on the Summary _feature_type{} list, which will contain the counts for each feature type. You can then pass those values to a second FeatureWriter or a regular writer to update whatever it is you need.

@david_r, thanks, will give it a try.

Badge +4

@david_r. Created a customer transformer to take the FeatureWriter's Summary port and capture the feature type and write count and save them to a table Data_Update_History. Works great. The problem is now the FME server only reports the Feature Written to Data_Update_History table which is always "1" for the workspace run, rather than the feature written by the FeatureWritter. Is there a way to configure this to report the features written by the FeatureWriter?

Userlevel 4

@david_r. Created a customer transformer to take the FeatureWriter's Summary port and capture the feature type and write count and save them to a table Data_Update_History. Works great. The problem is now the FME server only reports the Feature Written to Data_Update_History table which is always "1" for the workspace run, rather than the feature written by the FeatureWritter. Is there a way to configure this to report the features written by the FeatureWriter?

This is a known limitation, I've posted a workaround using a Cloner and a NULL writer here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/48251/include-featurewriter-counts-in-the-total-features.html

Please also consider voting for the idea to get this fixed :-)

Badge +4

This is a known limitation, I've posted a workaround using a Cloner and a NULL writer here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/48251/include-featurewriter-counts-in-the-total-features.html

Please also consider voting for the idea to get this fixed :-)

@david_r The FME log includes count for featurewriter in 2018.1. Yes I would vote to include the featurewriter counts in FME server.

Badge +4

@david_r The FME log includes count for featurewriter in 2018.1. Yes I would vote to include the featurewriter counts in FME server.

The FME server report writer count should include both featurewritter and conventional writer.