Question

FME Cloud OAuth Web Connection Authorization times out

Hello,

I am running into OAuth issues on FME Cloud 2019 with the Google API.

After approximately 1 hour the HttpCaller no longer authenticates with the web connection.

I can re-authorize the web connections and all is good. We want to run this on a schedule and do not want to re-authorize each time we start up.

@GerhardAtSafe, ideas?

5 replies

Badge

@tonjadwyer1,

Did you provide a Client ID & Client Secret for the Google Web Service on your FME Server?

When web connections are used on FME Server the user needs to create an OAuth 2 app to and provide the Client ID & Client Secret in the web service definition to automatically refresh tokens. When you publish a workspace using the default web services definition that is shipped with FME Desktop the token created with FME Desktop will be used until it expires.

It is recommended to create your own OAuth 2 app to use the Google API in FME Desktop & FME Server.

Please also refer to this documentation:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/WebUI/Web-Connections.htm
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@tonjadwyer1,

Did you provide a Client ID & Client Secret for the Google Web Service on your FME Server?

When web connections are used on FME Server the user needs to create an OAuth 2 app to and provide the Client ID & Client Secret in the web service definition to automatically refresh tokens. When you publish a workspace using the default web services definition that is shipped with FME Desktop the token created with FME Desktop will be used until it expires.

It is recommended to create your own OAuth 2 app to use the Google API in FME Desktop & FME Server.

Please also refer to this documentation:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/WebUI/Web-Connections.htm

Hi @gerhardatsafe, could it be related to the issue that I reported with C144571 - Google BigQuery Reading Failure?

Badge

Hi @gerhardatsafe, could it be related to the issue that I reported with C144571 - Google BigQuery Reading Failure?

It could be related, but since this is set up to run on FME Server we need to confirm that the Web Service definition for the Web Connection is configured correctly with first.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

It could be related, but since this is set up to run on FME Server we need to confirm that the Web Service definition for the Web Connection is configured correctly with first.

Thanks for your response. I'll pay attention continuously on this topic.

I wanted to revisit this since I found a solution.

The key was figuring out that the redirect URI in the FME Google Sheets example connection means the OAuth authentication is implicit.

urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob

The trick is to set the Application Type to Other when creating the OAuth client ID. Then you do not need to specify a redirect url.

Back in FME, you can copy the Google Sheets web service connection example and replace only the Client ID and secret. If scopes are set correctly then you can authorize the connection once and there is no need to reauthenticate later.