Solved

Is there a way to bypass/ignore a Writer error?

• 21 July 2020
  • 3 replies

My workbench creates a number of excel spreadsheets. Sometimes it fails due to users having one of the spreadsheets open when the workbench runs during the night. Though that spreadsheet cannot be updated due to the lock, it would be very useful to still be able to update the other spreadsheets rather than the entire workbench stopping completely.

Can a writer error be bypassed or ignored?

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 21 July 2020, 17:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I'm not aware of one. In the past I have resorted to using python to check whether the file is open and only sending features to the writer if it is not open (even this is not always foolproof)

Vote for the idea here

https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/73898/check-writer-accessibility-when-a-workspace-is-sta.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

I think this can be done, using the FeatureWriter transformer instead of actual writer.

If you connect a Logger transformer to the FeatureWriter summary output, it should not cause the workspace to stop, but it will write the summary information to the log file.

Hope this helps.

Badge +10

@erik_jan i’m not seeing the same result. I have a logger connected to the summary output of a feature writer but no features are making it to the logger transformer. The workspace is failing because the excel file is open (testing).