Question

FME Server doesn't handle all workspaces!

• 11 June 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have several workspaces that work fine on the desktop version but doesn't work on FME Server mainly due to memory issues. (The Server version is installed on a virtual server with 10GB of RAM and my laptop has 8GB).

This is a huge dissapointment since we have invested in this software to automate our processes and now it seems FME Server is not able to handle the same workspaces that the desktop version does. Has anyone else had the same kind of problems?

Additionally I have run intio character set issues with FME Server that I didn't have on FME desktop.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

regarding the differences in FME Desktop and Server: are you absolutely sure that it is the exact same version of FME on both installations? Compare not only the major version, but also the build version. It is also important to note if both are 32-bit versions, or if you have a mix.

Regarding character set issues: this is most often due to different locale settings on the the two machines, not FME. Get your system administrator to verify that the locale settings match.

David
Badge
Hi, 

I have FME Server 2013 - Build 13261 - linux-x64 on the Server and FME 2013 - Build 13262 - Win64 on my laptop. Can this be a problem?

Also the locale settings are different. I haven't been aware of thet they should match! Is it a requirement that they match ?
Userlevel 4
Hi,

it seems that your build number are almost the same, so I'd be surprised if that was the cause of the problem. But Linux and Windows are two very different operating systems with completely different memory management strategies, so I recommend you ask Safe support about this.

Regarding locale settings: they are not required to match, but the difference might very well explain the behaviour you observe. You will probably either have to match them up perfectly or do some special processing in your workspace to handle the differences there. You might for example do this with a PythonCaller inside a Custom Transformer, look here for a starting point.

David
Badge
Thanks, I have requested support. It seems there is no clear answer. I'd expect the workspaces that work on my desktop to work on the server as well, otherwise I will be in huge problems having created massive workspaces that needs to be put on the server. 
Badge +5
I have some pretty complex workspaces on Server and haven't noticed any problems going from Desktop to Server as long as the build numbers are the same. However, both my Desktop and Server instances are on Windows.