Solved

Adding data to an ESRI File Geodatabase (FGDB) raster mosaic

• 22 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

I have several hundred TIFFs that I want to load in to a File Geodatabase (FGDB) raster mosaic. ArcGIS allows you to load one image, then mosaic additional images into the same raster. I'm trying to do this with FME.

So far, I have tried the following:

1) RasterMosaicker, but that seems to create the mosaic in memory or temp before writing one huge raster to the FGDB.

2) Read several TIFFs (e.g. select 2 TIFFs or specify *.tif in the Reader) and send to the same FGDB raster dataset (i.e. no fanout on the Writer) with Drop Table set to "No" for obvious reasons. This loads the first image then fails on the second with "ERROR |Failed to write raster data tile when writing to raster dataset 'TIFF2'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147467259'".

3) Using the Path Reader to get the TIFF names, then sending these 1 at a time to a second Workspace using the WorkspaceRunner (Wait for Job to Complete = Yes). The second Workspace loads the TIFF into the raster dataset. This works fine when only 1 TIFF is in the source folder, but as soon as I add another to the source folder, the second Workspace crashes with "ERROR |Failed to write raster data tile when writing to raster dataset 'TIFF'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147467259'" when trying to load the additional image, but the the original one loads/reloads fine. Again on the Writer, Drop Table is set to "No".

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 28 March 2018, 19:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @tim_wood, According to the doc, the File Geodatabase Raster Dataset Writer seems not to support write a raster into a FGDB raster mosaic, unfortunately.

"Note: Esri Geodatabases can store rasters as raster datasets, raster catalogs, and raster mosaics. FME supports reading raster datasets and raster catalogs. In addition, FME supports reading mosaic datasets either as a single mosaicked raster through a raster dataset reader, or as multiple-source rasters through a raster catalog reader. Writing is supported for raster datasets but not for raster catalogs or mosaic datasets. Finally, raster support is limited to File Geodatabases and Enterprise Geodatabases." -- Esri Geodatabase Reader/Writer Geodatabase > Quick Facts

If the error occurs when you are writing a raster into a raster dataset (not a raster mosaic) that should be supported by the writer, I would recommend you to contact Safe support to investigate the reason.
Badge +7

Hi @tim_wood, According to the doc, the File Geodatabase Raster Dataset Writer seems not to support write a raster into a FGDB raster mosaic, unfortunately.

"Note: Esri Geodatabases can store rasters as raster datasets, raster catalogs, and raster mosaics. FME supports reading raster datasets and raster catalogs. In addition, FME supports reading mosaic datasets either as a single mosaicked raster through a raster dataset reader, or as multiple-source rasters through a raster catalog reader. Writing is supported for raster datasets but not for raster catalogs or mosaic datasets. Finally, raster support is limited to File Geodatabases and Enterprise Geodatabases." -- Esri Geodatabase Reader/Writer Geodatabase > Quick Facts

If the error occurs when you are writing a raster into a raster dataset (not a raster mosaic) that should be supported by the writer, I would recommend you to contact Safe support to investigate the reason.
ESRI are really unhelpful with their terminology! There is a mosaic dataset which is like a raster catalog... http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/raster-and-images/what-is-a-mosaic-dataset.htm

What I want to do is mosaic hundreds of source images into a single raster (ESRI raster dataset). In ArcGIS, I can create the dataset from 1 image, then mosaic other images into that data set in batches. I'd like to do the same with FME but am not sure if it's possible.

Badge +2

Geodatabase Raster Mosaic Dataset writer was added to FME 2018