Question

Identify Unique values from multiple attributes

• 13 November 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone would bo so kind as to help me with a little issue I'm having...

I have a dynamic ESRI shapefile source folder, with multiple shapefiles within.

All of these features have 1 thing in common, namely that they all contain the following attributes:

CREAT_USER

EDIT_USER

ATT_USER

Now these attributes all contain actual names, like Jeff, Pete, etc...

Ok, so lets say In CREAT_USE has multiple entries (inside multiple features, as this is a folder I point to and all shapes within get read) of the following names:

-Pete

-Jeff

EDIT_USER has:

-Jeff

-Susan

ATT_USER has:

-Susan

-Pete

-Rick

I want a summarization of all the possible values contained within all the source shape files. I don't care for the counts that these entries occur, so I simply want all the "possible unique values", filtering out all duplicates. Example output:

-Pete

-Jeff

-Susan

-Rick

Please feel free to ask more questions if this doesnt make sense.

Keep in mind that even though CREAT_USER, EDIT_USER, and ATT_USER will always remain like that, the values (aka the names) could differ each time, depending on what source data it's run on.

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

you can split your data flow in three and in each branch you rename each attribute to the same name, e.g. USER. Then you use a DuplicateRemover on USER in the end. Like this:

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

With the DuplicateRemover you can point to multiple attributes and get the unique attribute values.

Itay
Userlevel 4
@Itay: if you use multiple attributes in the DuplicateRemover, does that not return all the unique combinations of these attributes, rather than a list of all the occurring attribute values?

David
Badge
@David,

Your instructions worked beautifully. Almost feel embarrased at how simply it is.

And I did in fact try the duplicate remover on it's own, but that did not give the correct results.

Thanks a lot!
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@David, right you are! forgot about that....another option would be to create a list form all your attributes and use the ListDuplicateRemover but thats an overkill....