Question

Reading multiple files in a filemap

• 29 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello,

I periodically load the latest version of topographic data (shape format) from many municipalities in our GIS system. The data is loaded per topographic object (for example: a workbench for buildings, an other workbench for roads, ...). Each workbench loads the data for all municipalities together.

The first time the data was loaded the source contained 94 shape files (94 municipalities). The second time this was 92 (9 old deleted and 7 new added).

I have adjusted the change in the data manually (update features and connect the new ones), a work that does take some time. Should the number of municipalities change again next time, the reader must be updated again.

Is there a possibility to automatically read all shape files (which can change in number and file name) in one and the same folder, without the need to make manual adjustments?

Thanks!

Luc

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can set the reader to read all files in a directory, click the little triangle button to the right of the [...] button where you select the source data.

However, this will generate only one feature type for all your input shapefiles, which may not be the best solution when they've got different schema's. Can you tell us a bit more about your data?

Badge

Hi,

All functions have the same schema's, so I tested the function you described. This works perfectly!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Luc

PS: I have added some screenshots to clarify the settings. What I am not sure of, is whether the 'Identical Schema' button should be ticked. The result remains the same if it is checked or not, even if a feature in the folder has a different schema.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi,

All functions have the same schema's, so I tested the function you described. This works perfectly!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Luc

PS: I have added some screenshots to clarify the settings. What I am not sure of, is whether the 'Identical Schema' button should be ticked. The result remains the same if it is checked or not, even if a feature in the folder has a different schema.

Good to hear it's working out for you. You're right, the Identical Schema option doesn't seem to have any effect. @Mark2AtSafe, can you check what it's supposed to do?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Good to hear it's working out for you. You're right, the Identical Schema option doesn't seem to have any effect. @Mark2AtSafe, can you check what it's supposed to do?

@redgeographics and @lucvdberghe - It's not very clear at all (sorry) but "Identical Schema" is just a time-saving mechanism, not one that affects the workspace.

So if you are reading 10,000 files you can check the box and FME will assume the first file holds the correct schema and not scan the other 9,999. If the box is unchecked it will scan all 10,000 files to see what it thinks the schema should be.

If 9,999 files have the same schema, and one is different, then it would go with the majority for the schema definition.

So don't check the option if the 1 different file is the first one!