Solved

What does EXTRA_POLYGON_FEATURE mean in PointOnAreaOverlayer?

• 9 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +7

What does EXTRA_POLYGON_FEATURE mean in PointOnAreaOverlayer?

I've added a SpatialFilter on the Area dataset to reduce the number of unnecessary area features going to the PointOnAreaOverlayer and suddenly I get a load of rejected features out of the PointOnAreaOverlayer with EXTRA_POLYGON_FEATURE as the rejection code.

It would be nice if the documentation gave some explanation of the codes rather than simply listing them...

Update: This is in 64-bit FME 2018.1 on Windows Server 2012 and was using PointOnAreaOverlayer version 7. I upgraded the PointOnAreaOverlayer to version 8 and it worked, so presumably there was some bug fix in the new version of the Transformer.

I'd still like to know what the rejection code means though.

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 9 September 2019, 20:20

View original

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi @tim_wood,

Sorry the documentation is not clear regarding the rejection code "EXTRA_POLYGON_FEATURE". I'm going to follow up with our team to see if we can add some clearer information

I found some more information regarding this rejection code. This error occurs when polygons arrive in incorrect order - specifically I believe when the PointOnAreaOverlayer received is set to Yes for the "Area First" parameter. Meaning there were polygons received after points were received, aka not first.

Is it possible the settings on the transformer for version 7 had the "Area First" parameter set to YES but now the version 8 is now set to NO?

One other thing is if the transformer is set to group-by, this would rearrange the order, so I would recommend not using the "Area First" parameter if there is a group by as well.

- Andrea

Badge +3

I only encounter that when i do some overlay with grouping and i send a group with duplicate in the groupby attribute.

Usually i filter them to get a unique set.

Badge +7

Hi @tim_wood,

Sorry the documentation is not clear regarding the rejection code "EXTRA_POLYGON_FEATURE". I'm going to follow up with our team to see if we can add some clearer information

I found some more information regarding this rejection code. This error occurs when polygons arrive in incorrect order - specifically I believe when the PointOnAreaOverlayer received is set to Yes for the "Area First" parameter. Meaning there were polygons received after points were received, aka not first.

Is it possible the settings on the transformer for version 7 had the "Area First" parameter set to YES but now the version 8 is now set to NO?

One other thing is if the transformer is set to group-by, this would rearrange the order, so I would recommend not using the "Area First" parameter if there is a group by as well.

- Andrea

Areas First is still set to Yes after upgrading the transformer.

I think it must have been to do with areas arriving after points starting being processed. I switched the area layers from ArcSDE to SQL Spatial to speed things up and avoid having to check out an ArcGIS licence. But at one point I was reading some areas from ArcSDE and some from SQL Spatial. I thought I had moved all the area Readers to the top of the Navigator pane but maybe having 2 different Readers caused an issue. Anyway, once everything was moved to SQL Spatial, the problem went away.

Badge

I started getting this same error. I had no Group By set, and Areas First set to Yes. I switched Areas First to No and it prevented this error. New to FME, so I'm not quite sure of the issue yet, but it's at least resolved for now.