Solved

Can FME desktop be installed on anything other than the C:\\ drive?

• 9 December 2016
  • 9 replies

I'm trying to install FME desktop on a VM that's configured with a very small C:\\ drive which contains just the OS. All the program files are installed on the D:\\ drive. When prompted for installation folder I'm changing it to the D:\\ drive. I'm getting an error that there is not enough space on the drive, then I get an error 2755. I've tried installing it on my own workstation, on the C:\\ drive and it installs properly.

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 12 December 2016, 09:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

As long as you have enough disk space FME can be installed on any local drive.

Badge +2

Just an idea...

Surely something gets installed into Windows folder/registry etc. How much free space is on the C: drive?

Userlevel 4

I'm pretty sure there are some files written to your Windows folder regardless of where the bulk of FME Desktop is installed, so you need at least some free space on that drive. Also, if your C: drive is really tiny, make sure that you have configured your Windows temp dir on another disk, as Windows can behave in strange ways when there is no more disk space.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

The FME installation requires about 3.2 Gb of disk space in the install folder and then, as @mark_1spatial indicates, some space in shared folders and registry. For the installation process itself you'll probably need a bit more free space.

On a related note: by pointing the installer to a different folder than an already existing FME installation you can have multiple versions on the same machine.

E.g.

C:\\Program Files\\FME2015

C:\\Program Files\\FME2016

C:\\Program Files\\FME2017beta

My record at one time was 9...

Badge

Maybe VM checks space from c:\\ drive even when you are trying to install to d:\\ drive. Just a guess..

Just an idea...

Surely something gets installed into Windows folder/registry etc. How much free space is on the C: drive?

It's got 597MB left. I thought perhaps something was trying to install on the C:\\ drive. I will have to put in a request for infrastructure to give me some more space.

Thanks all for your responses!

The FME installation requires about 3.2 Gb of disk space in the install folder and then, as @mark_1spatial indicates, some space in shared folders and registry. For the installation process itself you'll probably need a bit more free space.

On a related note: by pointing the installer to a different folder than an already existing FME installation you can have multiple versions on the same machine.

E.g.

C:\\Program Files\\FME2015

C:\\Program Files\\FME2016

C:\\Program Files\\FME2017beta

My record at one time was 9...

They added 5GB for me and it installed perfectly.

Badge

They added 5GB for me and it installed perfectly.

Did you install it to C:\\ or D:\\ drive? I just wonder if installing to D:\\ drive would work after adding 5GB to C:\\ drive.

Did you install it to C:\\ or D:\\ drive? I just wonder if installing to D:\\ drive would work after adding 5GB to C:\\ drive.

They added the 5GB to the C:\\ drive; I installed FME on the D:\\ drive. It does install a few files on the c:\\ drive although the majority of the program is installed on D:\\.