Solved

What is a controller in therms of workbench? Is that only a term?

• 29 January 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi

I am new to FME. Coming from ESRI background and FME terminology is new to me.

I have 30 or so workbenches - some of them are called something_controller and other of them are called something_runer

They see to be just regular WBs - doing some stuff to data. I don't see any relationship between a controller WB and a runner WB, e.g. controller calling the runner in any way. Being new I am not sure if this is at all possible.

So do the naming suggest any relationship between WBs or this is just a term in the naming?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by davideagle 29 January 2016, 12:49

View original

5 replies

Badge +10

Have a look inside the "controller" workspaces and see if you can see a Transformer called the WorkspaceRunner. If you can, open up the parameters and check to see which "runner" workspace it is calling.

This approach is commonly used to perform batch processing. where the controller tells the runner which files to process and the runner does the work, often a file or a geography at a time and sometimes concurrently up to a maximum of 7 processes.

Badge

Have a look inside the "controller" workspaces and see if you can see a Transformer called the WorkspaceRunner. If you can, open up the parameters and check to see which "runner" workspace it is calling.

This approach is commonly used to perform batch processing. where the controller tells the runner which files to process and the runner does the work, often a file or a geography at a time and sometimes concurrently up to a maximum of 7 processes.

Hi,

thanks. No it doesn't have this transformer, but it has FMEServerJobSubmitter, at least one of those.

It points to another workspace (fmw).

Is this the same as what you said about the batch processing?

Badge +10

Hi,

thanks. No it doesn't have this transformer, but it has FMEServerJobSubmitter, at least one of those.

It points to another workspace (fmw).

Is this the same as what you said about the batch processing?

Absolutely, though in this case the scenario is subtly different. It is looking to call another process hosted on FME Server. So in this case it's likely that the Controller workspace is also hosted on FME Server too and it is triggered and then runs the sub processes. It sounds like you'll have FME Server installed somewhere and these processes are a backup of what is installed on FME Server.

The FMEServerJobSubmitter is the WorkspaceRunners big brother!

Badge

Thanks

yes we have FME server and this is the WB just in Subversion. Normally everything is run on the server.

Badge +10

Thanks

yes we have FME server and this is the WB just in Subversion. Normally everything is run on the server.

no worries