Question

DWG styler help

• 1 February 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge

I was wondering if anybody can point me to some further documentation on the dwg styler? Or more specifically .dwg template files that can be used? I have an FME Workspace template, (I can't remember where I got this, see screenshot of it attached). The workbench is using a dwg template called kentemplate.dwg, this has a block called kenblock. The annotation in the workbench talks about having an attribute called Foo, and mentions attribute tags in the template file. I can't find any online resources which provide any further information on this? I['m not sure if a block 'has' to have an attribute associated with it in order for the template to work?

Any help appriciated,

Thanks,

Helen

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

If a feature using a block from a template does not have the associated attribute or no value for the associated attribute, no annotation will be displayed.

It will not lead to a fatal error (in my experience).

Badge

Thanks @erik_jan, making a bit of progress here I think!

Badge +5

It might be easier to get hold of a demo of Autocad and create your own template (set up all your layers with no drawings or features in, insert blocks, and then save out as dwt file (make sure its the right cad version I'm not sure if FME 2016 works with the latest autocad?) .

Then I find you can pretty much ignore the DWGstyler as you can assign each feature to a particular layer in your template and that feature will grab any styles and blocks accordingly. In other words you don't need to style the features in FME just assign it to a particular CAD layer using a fanout. Then assign the template in the template file parameter for the writer and hey presto CAD data with styling and blocks.