Question

FME basic training, PostGIS database connection ,

Hi,

In the FME basic training I am trying to create a PostGIS connection for Exercise 4 'FME Hackathon' (page 430).

The Hackathon PostGIS Database should be located at postgis.train.safe.com, but I cannot get a connect with it using the given parameters (below). I followed the steps Tools -> Database Connections -> Add Database Connection.

Host: postgis.train.safe.com

Port: 5432

Database: fmedata

Username: fmedata

In the log window the following error appears:

Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='postgis.train.safe.com', port='5432', dbname='fmedata', user='fmedata', password='***'): 'server closed the connection unexpectedly

This probably means the server terminated abnormally

before or while processing the request.

'

Isn't the server online or am I doing something wrong?

My version is: FME Workbench 2017.1

Thanks,

Koen

26 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @koenrv.

What is the password you are trying. These connection parameters should work:

What version of the FME Desktop Basic training on you using? You should be able to find this information in the Introduction section at the start of the manual.

Are you trying to read from the PostGIS database? If yes, what table are you trying to read?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Works for me at this moment:

Do you have port 5432 open in the firewall?

Works for me at this moment:

Do you have port 5432 open in the firewall?

I am not sure. How can I check if it is open?

It's a laptop from the company where i am working for, so I am dont think I can change it myself.

Hi @koenrv.

What is the password you are trying. These connection parameters should work:

What version of the FME Desktop Basic training on you using? You should be able to find this information in the Introduction section at the start of the manual.

Are you trying to read from the PostGIS database? If yes, what table are you trying to read?

I am using the same password as you do and the training pdf with exercises is named: fme-desktop-basic-training-2017.

I am trying to get a connection with the public.CompleteRoads dataset.

I have the same problem but error message says:

Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='postgis.train.safe.com', port='5432', dbname='fmedata', user='fmedata', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Connection timed out (0x0000274C/10060)

Is the server running on host "postgis.train.safe.com" (54.214.172.21) and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

How should I fix this? Or is this a temporary issue?

I am facing the same issue. Impossible to finish the training without this

Badge

I have the same problem but error message says:

Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='postgis.train.safe.com', port='5432', dbname='fmedata', user='fmedata', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Connection timed out (0x0000274C/10060)

Is the server running on host "postgis.train.safe.com" (54.214.172.21) and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

How should I fix this? Or is this a temporary issue?

The database should be up and running now. Please try connecting again, and if it still fails please let me know the time and date you tried connecting.

Badge

I am facing the same issue. Impossible to finish the training without this

The database should be up and running now. Please try connecting again, and if it still fails please let me know the time and date you tried connecting.

Hi Ryan, just try, same error.

Connection try at 10:51 (Belgium Time (UTC+1))

Thans for your help

Hi Ryan,

Same for me, I get the same error message.

Badge

Hello @denis.callens and @geraldine. I've made some updates to the database configuration. I'm not yet sure why some connections are being blocked, but I'm hoping the new configuration removed the issue. Please try connecting again and let me know if you still get the error message (or a different error message).

Hello @denis.callens and @geraldine. I've made some updates to the database configuration. I'm not yet sure why some connections are being blocked, but I'm hoping the new configuration removed the issue. Please try connecting again and let me know if you still get the error message (or a different error message).

Hi Ryan, thank you for the follow up. Unfortunately I still get the error message 😐

Same for me. Here is the error message :

Worker 16048 > Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='postgis.train.safe.com', port='5432', dbname='fmedata', user='fmedata', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Permission denied (0x0000271D/10013)

Worker 16048 > Is the server running on host "postgis.train.safe.com" (54.214.172.21) and accepting

Worker 16048 > TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Worker 16048 > '

Worker 16048 > POSTGRES reader: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Worker 16048 > Failed to read schema features from dataset 'fmedata' using the 'POSTGRES' reader

Worker 16048 > Error connecting to PostgreSQL database(host='postgis.train.safe.com', port='5432', dbname='fmedata', user='fmedata', password='***'): 'could not connect to server: Permission denied (0x0000271D/10013)

Worker 16048 > Is the server running on host "postgis.train.safe.com" (54.214.172.21) and accepting

Worker 16048 > TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Worker 16048 > '

Worker 16048 > POSTGRES reader: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Worker 16048 > Failed to read schema features from dataset 'fmedata' using the 'POSTGRES' reader

Thanks for your help

Hello guys.

I am getting the same error on FME 2022.2

Is there any solution for that ?

Badge

Hello guys.

I am getting the same error on FME 2022.2

Is there any solution for that ?

Hello laouali_ada,

Please try the following, and let me know if they worked or not:

1. Disconnect from any VPN that you are on, then try the database connection
  2. Try rebooting your machine

Badge

Also ran into issue with the error "Connection timed out", see picture. Without this I cannot proceed with the FME Basic Training. Please confirm that the connection is working at your side.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Also ran into issue with the error "Connection timed out", see picture. Without this I cannot proceed with the FME Basic Training. Please confirm that the connection is working at your side.

It works for me. Are you by any chance on a VPN or otherwise restricted corporate network? If that's the case access to the database might be blocked by a firewall.

Badge

It works for me. Are you by any chance on a VPN or otherwise restricted corporate network? If that's the case access to the database might be blocked by a firewall.

There is restricted corporate network, that might be the cause. However, I have access to the home site safe.com without any issue. I also tried to connect to postgis.train.safe.com via my private phone over mobile network (hence outside the corporate network). The result is the same: connection timed out :-( So I cannot confirm it is the corporate network which blocks the connection.

Suppose it is the restricted corporate network, what is the alternative? How can I proceed with the FME Basic training?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

It could very well be that the main safe.com website is whitelisted, but subdomains not (I could tell you so many stories about the kind of stuff we run into when doing on-site training). Or access through a browser is ok but not through an application like FME.

Did you try and read from the database using FME when you were on your private phone? (pinging, for example, is no use because it's running on AWS and they block ping) If so, can you please doublecheck you have the correct connection details?

Badge

O.k., I'll check at our IT support desk if postgis.train.safe.com is whitelisted, or for any other cause for the connection timed out. I use FME within ArcGIS Data Interoperability Workbench app, installed at my company notebook, by the way. Besides, good to know that trying to receive a ping from postgis.train.safe.com outside FME is useless. Thanks for your thoughts!

Badge

I checked with my company and with Esri. It seems that the company firewall blocks the connection to the postgis database at port 5432. For security reason the company does not want to open the port. Is there another possibility to access the database and hence to proceed with the FME training? It has been suggested to use my private laptop at my home network. However, I have no FME software on the laptop. Besides that, I use a Linux distro on the private laptop.

Any thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Depending on the specific excercise there may be a non-PostGIS option explained as well. If there isn't, or if you really want to try with PostGIS you can run FME on your private laptop, you can download and instal and then either get a 30 day trial or apply for a work extension license. The fact you're using Linux shouldn't make a difference, as long as it's a supported distro of course.

Badge

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have Debian 12 which is not yet supported. So I have to wait patiently until the list of supported distros is updated.

Badge

Connecting the postgis database is a part of FME Desktop Basic training, module "Transform data". It doesn't offer a non-Postgis option. Well, then I have to install the FME Desktop software on my private laptop. Unfortunately, my current distro is Debian 12 which is not (yet) supported (Debian 11 is). I tried to install the FME software anyway. But it seems that the software is missing (older) dependencies. I have to wait until Debian 12 is supported, I'm afraid...

Connecting the postgis database is a part of FME Desktop Basic training, module "Transform data". It doesn't offer a non-Postgis option. Well, then I have to install the FME Desktop software on my private laptop. Unfortunately, my current distro is Debian 12 which is not (yet) supported (Debian 11 is). I tried to install the FME software anyway. But it seems that the software is missing (older) dependencies. I have to wait until Debian 12 is supported, I'm afraid...

Another option is to use the on-demand labs. The labs include FME Form and Flow and all of the training data. For the FME Form Basic training, you can use the following on-demand labs.

https://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/fmeformbasic1

https://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/fmeformbasic2

https://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/fmeformbasic3

https://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/fmeformbasic4

https://bluesky-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmeserver/apps/fmeformbasic5