Solved

Change engine name from ocalhost_ENGINE1 to _ENGINE1

• 9 August 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +9

When I installed FME Server, it is asking me for the name of the server which I specified. But when I register the license and the engines are started, they are listed as localhost_ENGINE1. Is there a way to change it the server name? What if I wanted to specify the engines to run with the server name, how do I do that at install?

icon

Best answer by lauraatsafe 9 August 2018, 20:23

View original

9 replies

Badge +9

Hi @tnarladni I've seen this issue as well when installing FME Server 2018 and newer. Looks like the installer doesn't want to use the hostname for the Engines when the Engines and Server Core/application server are on the same machine. We're looking into this, so I'll send an update as soon as we have more information or a fix for this.

In the meantime, you can update the engine names to use the actual hostname by doing the following:

• Open the fmeCommonConfig.txt file and locate the parameters called NODE_NAME and NODE_HOST
  • Change those to YourServerHost instead of localhost
  • Open the processMonitorConfigEngines.txt file
  • Under TEMPLATE_START_ENGINE, go to the end of that line and change the -ENGINE_HOST_NAME to YourServerHost
  • Restart FME Server

At this point, you'll probably end up with both localhost and YourServerHost listed under Hosts. You can fix that by doing the following:

• Shut down just the FME Server Engines service (from Services.msc)
  • On the Engines & Licensing page, remove localhost from under Hosts
  • Start up the Engine Service again
  • You may need to restart FME Server one more time here to completely remove localhost from appearing in the engine names

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this solution. I have followed the instructions - it changes the Hosts available and names any new engines correctly, but 2 of the engines are left named as localhost_Engine1 and localhost_Engine2.

Is there any way to change these 2 engine names?

Regards

Richard

Badge +9

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this solution. I have followed the instructions - it changes the Hosts available and names any new engines correctly, but 2 of the engines are left named as localhost_Engine1 and localhost_Engine2.

Regards

Richard

Hi @ricstan,

If you check your processMonitorConfigEngines.txt file and look at the very bottom for the lines labelled Start FME Engine 1 and 2, does that still reference localhost in the start engine command. Like this:

START_ENGINE_localhost_Engine1=!TEMPLATE_START_ENGINE!

If so, try replacing localhost there with the proper machine name. Just let me know if that doesn't help and I can help you troubleshoot further.

Badge +9

Update on this, we have now fixed this issue where the FME Server Engines and Core were using localhost instead of the correct hostname as specified during installation.

The fix is now available in the newest version of FME Server 2018.1 available on our downloads page and also for FME Server 2019 which is still in beta. This should not be a problem for anyone moving forward.

Badge +9

Hi @tnarladni I've seen this issue as well when installing FME Server 2018 and newer. Looks like the installer doesn't want to use the hostname for the Engines when the Engines and Server Core/application server are on the same machine. We're looking into this, so I'll send an update as soon as we have more information or a fix for this.

In the meantime, you can update the engine names to use the actual hostname by doing the following:

• Open the fmeCommonConfig.txt file and locate the parameters called NODE_NAME and NODE_HOST
  • Change those to YourServerHost instead of localhost
  • Open the processMonitorConfigEngines.txt file
  • Under TEMPLATE_START_ENGINE, go to the end of that line and change the -ENGINE_HOST_NAME to YourServerHost
  • Restart FME Server

At this point, you'll probably end up with both localhost and YourServerHost listed under Hosts. You can fix that by doing the following:

• Shut down just the FME Server Engines service (from Services.msc)
  • On the Engines & Licensing page, remove localhost from under Hosts
  • Start up the Engine Service again
  • You may need to restart FME Server one more time here to completely remove localhost from appearing in the engine names

Update on this, we have now fixed this issue where the FME Server Engines and Core were using localhost instead of the correct hostname as specified during installation.

The fix is now available in the newest version of FME Server 2018.1 available on our downloads page and also for FME Server 2019 which is still in beta. This should not be a problem for anyone moving forward.

Thank you. I'll grab a copy.

Badge

Hi Laura,

Regards

Richard

still show localhost_Engine1

Badge

in Hosts session: there are two rows: one is named with my machine name and the other row has "localhost".

Badge +9

in Hosts session: there are two rows: one is named with my machine name and the other row has "localhost".

Hi @george, The simplest way I've found to clear that is to first, stop the FME Server Engine service on the machine, then go to the Engines & Licensing page, there should now be a Remove button that appears beside the two hostnames, click Remove beside the localhost entry, then start up the engine service again.