Question

Installing problems

• 22 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

Bought a new computer and are trying to install my FME again.

When I use the original installationfile (fme-desktop-2013-SP2-win-x86.msi) the computer says that the administrator has blocked the installation and I should contact him/her but I am the only one using my computer?

How can I get around that, I have win 10 pro 64-bit

2 replies

Userlevel 4

You could always try right-clicking on the setup file and select "Run as administrator"

If that doesn't work, you most probably can't get around it without help from your system admin. If your PC is part of a company network there are fairly often restrictions put into place by the IT department, typically regarding software installations.

If you really are the only user of your PC and you're not logged in as a domain user, make sure your user is part of the admin group. Maybe this link can help: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-if-your-windows-10-account-is-administrator/

Badge +10

Hi @akeeri @david_r

I had a customer having problems installing FME Desktop on her computer and advised her to use the Run as administrator option from the right-click context menu, but from Windows 8.1 ++ there is no such option for installing .MSI Installer Packages like FME Desktop, only for .exe files.

However, I found a way to add this option for .msi installers by creating a key in the Registry for it:

How to Force an MSI Package to Install Using Administrator Mode

I tried it myself and (for your convenience) made an export of the reg key added:

MSI_RunAs.txt

Dowload the .txt file, rename it to .reg and double-click it to add the key to the registry.

In case of not having the right permissions, ask your system administrator for help.

Hope this us useful.

Kind regards,

Krien Guijt