Question

Split/cut 3D solids and surfaces

• 17 April 2015
  • 9 replies

Hi All,

I searched for quite a time, but could not find an answer...

I have some 3D solids (and some 3D surfaces) in FME. I would like to cut/split these ones using a line which is contained in a horizontal plane... I thought that creating a vertical plane with this line (which intersects the solid/surface) would be some kind of way to proceed

I know that solids can be cut using a clipper (but using another solid... not a line, nor a vertical plane).

Would anyone have a clue on how to do that (where to begin...) ?

Thanks a lot !

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

A just idea.

For the solids:

(1) Create enough large 3D polygon whose boundary includes the cutting line, and set the elevation that is lower than the minimum elevation of the input solids to the polygon.

(2) Transform the polygon into a solid with the Extruder, so that its max-z is higher than the maximum elevation of the input solids.

(3) Clip the input solids by the created solid.

For the surfaces:

(1) Transform the surfaces into 2D polygons with 2DForcer.

(2) Split the polygons by the cutting line (use Intersector and AreaBuilder etc.).

(3) Drape the split polygons by the original surfaces with the SurfaceDraper.

(4) Transform the draped polygons with faces by the FaceReplacer. Note: If the polygons are aggregates, you will have to decompose them into single part polygons by the Deaggregator beforehand.

Takakshi
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The actual data flow would be a little complicated.

I created demo workspaces with FME 2015.0. I'll share them with you.

Download (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ufVP2t0eApcS1yc2w1QTl2WVk/view?usp=sharing)
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
sorry, the URL was wrong. This is correct. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ufVP2t0eApNUl2ZGRoMHVOUlk/view?usp=sharing)
Hi Takashi,

Wow, thanks a lot ! I will definitively give it a try next week !

I'll keep the community up-to-date regarding the results and publish the final workbench. I think this could be a great improvement of 3D "homemade" transformers for FME...

Again, thanks a lot !
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Yup, I think there is a big room in FME to do enhancement of functionalities for manipulating 3D.

Upgraded the demo for surfaces. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ufVP2t0eApbUZtejF1Z3Z4em8/view?usp=sharing)

The new version supports:

- treating overlapped surfaces

- restoring original orientation for each surface
Hi Takashi,

We just made a few test using your workbenches, and it looks like they are working pretty well.

We will have to do more tests ! And we will give some feedback when we are done !

Again, thanks a lot for all your help !

Michael
Badge
Is there an easier way to do this yet?

Badge

Could anyone provide a new working link to the FME workbench? I'm stucked on the same problem and the google drive links are not available anymore... thanks!

Badge

Could anyone provide a new working link to the FME workbench? I'm stucked on the same problem and the google drive links are not available anymore... thanks!

Me too. Currently looking for solutions to the same problem