Question

Bulk traslations and writing to CAD

• 10 January 2014
  • 6 replies

Badge
I often need to convert large numbers of layers from TAB to DWG CAD format. Is there a way of doing this on bulk or looping a workflow to repete an action over a list of inputs.

If i need to convert TAB to SHP all i need to do is put them into the 'generate workspace' and it makes a workspace with the correct number of reader and writer feature types and copies across the attributes. HOWEVER, I cant do this with TAB to DWG files as it asks for the destination folder AND file name then merges all the input layers together into one file. I have therefore had to translate each file separately (and when you have about 60 files this takes ages)

Now I want to go one step further and add a clip function. I have 32 TAB files which i need to clip by a boundary and then write each file to DWG. Currently the only way i can see of doing this is making a workspace with 32 reader feature types, 32 clippers and 32 writer feature types (remembering each time to say copy attributes from reader and renameing)

Alternatively I could do just one flow and run it many times changing the reader and writer each time (which would be only margionally quicker than clipping and saving a copy in mapinfo one at a time)

Is there not a quicker way of doing this?

(I have been searching through the help and online but could not find an answer - i thought of using the fanout but you cant seem to fanout my input file name)

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Each input will have a fme format (fme_basename or fme_feature_type) that can be used in the group by setting in the clipper and as fanout in the writer.

This way you need only 1 reader, 1 clipper and 1 writer.

Itay
Badge
I tried what you suggesteed with some test data but came across some problems

I used one reader which generated 3 feature types.

I connected these to a clipper along with the reader to clip by.

When in the clipper perameters I chose Group By: fme_feature_type this stops the clipper working and everything goes to the 'outside' port.

Also when i connect a writer there is only the features attributes to chose to fan out by. There is not fme_feature_type. I went into the settings and expsed fme_feature_type and then I could group by it.

I then changed the clipper to not to group by to see what happened. This now worked but instead of 3 CAD files, I have 1 CAD file with 3 types in (representing the 3 input files). This is not what i wanted however as i cant give a contractor one cad file with lots of different layers inside it. I assume that everything got merged during the split and then fanned out in the writer?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
You can use the writers feature fan out for creating layers and the writer dataset fan out for creating files per layer.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
some more information about fanout and dataset fanout can be foud at:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Workbench/Default.htm#About_Fanout.htm
Badge
I think its working now thank you.

The problem was that althrough i read through the help on fanouts I knew there was a fanout in the feature and also a fanout in the left bar but i assumed they were just the same as i had tried them both and they didnt work. When I turned off the 'group by' in the clipper and it started working i must have been using the feature fanout which is why it continued not working. I have switched to the fan out in the left bar now (which i assume must be the dataset fanout) and i have generated 3 cad layers hooray thanks.

(I still have 32 reader features to conenct to the clipper but at least its working now hopefully)
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Glad to hear its working, try the advanced brouwser for the multiple inputs.

Itay