Question

Translate SHP NAD83 coordinates to MIF/MID LL WGS84

• 27 September 2017
  • 22 replies

Badge

I am trying to translate a SHP file with NAD83 coordinates in meters to MIF/MID LL WGS84 degree data. Is this possible?

22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @sharon,

Have you tried to Generate Workspace:

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +10

Hi @sharon

You can certainly do this kind of transformation from a SHP to MIF/MID while also transforming the coordinate system. When you generate a workspace, you can specify the coordinate system for both the reader and writer. You can see this in the screenshot from @danilo_inovacao

Alternatively, you could also use the Reprojector or Csmapreprojector transformer in between your SHP reader and MIF/MID writer where you would specify the source and destination coordinate system.

Hope this helps! - Andrea

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @sharon

You can certainly do this kind of transformation from a SHP to MIF/MID while also transforming the coordinate system. When you generate a workspace, you can specify the coordinate system for both the reader and writer. You can see this in the screenshot from @danilo_inovacao

Alternatively, you could also use the Reprojector or Csmapreprojector transformer in between your SHP reader and MIF/MID writer where you would specify the source and destination coordinate system.

Hope this helps! - Andrea

@AndreaEAtSafe, good alternative :)

Badge

Thank you Danilo.

My problem is with the meters unit that does not get translated to degrees. Where do I configure that?

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thank you Danilo.

My problem is with the meters unit that does not get translated to degrees. Where do I configure that?

Hi @sharon,

In Navigator option you can set the coordinate system.

Could you send me a sample of data?

Thanks,

Danilo
Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thank you Danilo.

Between Reader and Writer you can use first a transformer Reprojector and configure to convert to NAD83 Degrees. So, use again the Reprojector and the configuration: NAD83 to LL84.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Between Reader and Writer you can use first a transformer Reprojector and configure to convert to NAD83 Degrees. So, use again the Reprojector and the configuration: NAD83 to LL84.

Hi @sharon,

Did you test with these two transformers Reprojector?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Thank you for your help and attention! This is my data, I tried the list of transformers but could not find a meter to degree transformer. Do you have a screenshot of the transformer that I should choose from the Workbench?

Badge

routes-fleettrack-sept2017.xmlDanilo,

The only piece of data I can send is an XML file. I don't know if this is helpful/

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

routes-fleettrack-sept2017.xmlDanilo,

The only piece of data I can send is an XML file. I don't know if this is helpful/

Hi @sharon,

Is your data the file Routes_FleetTrack_2.shp? Could you share this data?

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @sharon, I think FME can recognize the coordinate system defined in the Shapefile data. Firstly, to confirm that, try inspecting the data with FME Data Inspector. If FME was able to recognize the coordinate system, its name would be displayed on the Feature Information window when you select a feature on the View, and also you can see its properties by clicking the coordinate system name.

If you were able to confirm that FME read the coordinate system definition from the source Shapefile data correctly, you can just set your desired destination coordinate system name (e.g. LL84) to the Coordinate System parameter in the Writer. That's it. FME transforms the data from the source coordinate system to your specified destination coordinate system automatically as far as FME supports both coordinate systems, regardless of what the units of the source/destination coordinate system were. Alternatively, as @AndreaEAtSafe suggested, you can also use the CsmapReprojector transformer to convert the source coordinate system (<Read from feature>) to any destination coordinate system (e.g. LL84) in the workflow. If you convert the coordinate system with the transformer, you don't need to set the destination coordinate system to the Writer.
Badge

Hi @sharon, I think FME can recognize the coordinate system defined in the Shapefile data. Firstly, to confirm that, try inspecting the data with FME Data Inspector. If FME was able to recognize the coordinate system, its name would be displayed on the Feature Information window when you select a feature on the View, and also you can see its properties by clicking the coordinate system name.

If you were able to confirm that FME read the coordinate system definition from the source Shapefile data correctly, you can just set your desired destination coordinate system name (e.g. LL84) to the Coordinate System parameter in the Writer. That's it. FME transforms the data from the source coordinate system to your specified destination coordinate system automatically as far as FME supports both coordinate systems, regardless of what the units of the source/destination coordinate system were. Alternatively, as @AndreaEAtSafe suggested, you can also use the CsmapReprojector transformer to convert the source coordinate system (<Read from feature>) to any destination coordinate system (e.g. LL84) in the workflow. If you convert the coordinate system with the transformer, you don't need to set the destination coordinate system to the Writer.

It seems that FME does not recognize the coordinate system using the Inspector.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

please select a feature on the View or the Table View and look at the Feature Information window.

Badge

OK. Thank you for that tip. Now I see the coordinate system.

I just tried the T

ranslator again. What should I write in the Coordinate System Statement Window?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I just tried the T

Usually you don't need to set the Coordinate System Statement parameter.

In general, you can just select your desired destination coordinate system in the Coord. System parameter when adding the writer,

or the Coordinate System parameter of the writer on the Navigator window after adding the writer.

If required coordinate system name cannot be found in the drop down list of the parameter field, click the bottom-most "More Coord Systems" to open the Coordinate System Gallery. You can then search and select your desired coordinate system from the gallery.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I just tried the T

Even you are using FME Quick Translator, it's the same basically.

Badge

Thank you for your patience!

From the beginning I have chosen the projection that I want : LLWGS84. This is the result of the translation:

"

Opened mapping File C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/fme_gq5872.fme for output

Mapping File Generation was SUCCESSFUL

Mapping File Generation was SUCCESSFUL

FME Session Duration: 0.8 seconds. (CPU: 0.4s user, 0.2s system)

END - ProcessID: 5736, peak process memory usage: 74244 kB, current process memory usage: 74244 kB

Reading file

FME 2017.1.0.0 (20170731 - Build 17539 - WIN32)

FME_HOME is 'C:\\apps\\FME\\'

FME Database Edition (node locked-crc)

Serial Number: 0

Temporary License: 23 days left.

Machine host name is: Sharon

START - ProcessID: 9508, peak process memory usage: 31480 kB, current process memory usage: 31428 kB

FME Configuration: Command line arguments are `C:\\apps\\FME\\fme' `C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\fme-control-lY5872.tmp' `LOG_STANDARDOUT' `YES'

Shared folders for formats are : C:\\apps\\FME\\datasources;C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\Formats

Shared folders for transformers are : C:\\apps\\FME\\transformers;C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\Transformers

Shared folders for coordinate systems are : C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\CoordinateSystems

Shared folders for coordinate system exceptions are : C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\CoordinateSystemExceptions

Shared folders for coordinate system grid overrides are : C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\CoordinateSystemGridOverrides

Shared folders for CS-MAP transformation exceptions are : C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\CsmapTransformationExceptions

Shared folders for transformer categories are : C:\\Users\\user\\Documents\\FME\\TransformerCategories

FME Configuration: Reader Keyword is `ESRISHAPE'

FME Configuration: Writer Keyword is `MIF'

FME Configuration: Writer Group Definition Keyword is `MIF_DEF'

FME Configuration: Reader type is `ESRISHAPE'

FME Configuration: Writer type is `MIF'

FME Configuration: Destination coordinate system set to `LL-WGS84'

Coordinate System `LL-WGS84' parameters: CS_NAME=`LL-WGS84' DESC_NM=`WGS84 Lat/Longs' DT_NAME=`WGS84' GROUP=`LL' MAP_SCL=`1' PROJ=`LL' QUAD=`1' SCL_RED=`1' UNIT=`DEGREE'

FME Configuration: Current working folder is `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP'

FME Configuration: Temporary folder is `C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp', set from environment variable `TEMP'

FME Configuration: FME_HOME is `C:\\apps\\FME\\'

FME Configuration: FME_BASE is 'no'

FME Configuration: FME_MF_DIR is 'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\/'

FME Configuration: FME_MF_NAME is 'fme-control-lY5872.tmp'

FME Configuration: FME_PRODUCT_NAME is 'FME(R) 2017.1.0.0'

System Status: 337.13 GB of disk space available in the FME temporary folder (C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp)

System Status: 4.00 GB of virtual memory available

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

FME Platform: WIN32

Locale: he_IL

Code Page: 1255 (ANSI - ?????)

FME Configuration: Process limits are 3.95 GB of physical memory and 4.00 GB of address space

FME Configuration: Start freeing memory when process usage exceeds 2.37 GB of memory or 3.41 GB of address space

FME Configuration: Stop freeing memory when process usage is below 1.78 GB of memory and 2.56 GB of address space

Creating writer for format: MapInfo MIF/MID

Creating reader for format: Esri Shapefile

Using Shape Reader to read shape files from folder `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP/'

ESRISHAPE Reader: Using enhanced geometry

Shape Reader: Using simple donut geometry detection

Shape Reader: Allowing attribute names with mixed case

Opened Shape File 'F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.shp' for input

Opened DBF File 'F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.dbf' for input

DBF Reader: Detected character encoding `utf-8'

DBF File 'F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.dbf' has fields: IdRte char(32), Version char(10), NomRte char(60), NoRte double, ClsRte char(50), CaractRte char(40), Gestion char(254), Producteur char(64), IdProduct char(36), Type short

Predefined coordinate system `NAD83.MTQ/Lambert' (Ministry of Transport of Quebec / NAD83 Lambert) matches dataset coordinate system

The OGC definition of the FME coordinate system '_NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0' is 'PROJCS["Conique_conforme_de_Lambert_du_MTQ_utilis_e_pour_Adresse_Qu_bec",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",DATUM["D_North_American_1983",SPHEROID["Geodetic_Reference_System_of_1980",6378137.0,298.2572221009113]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Lambert_Conformal_Conic"],PARAMETER["false_easting",800000.0],PARAMETER["false_northing",0.0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",-70.0],PARAMETER["standard_parallel_1",46.0],PARAMETER["standard_parallel_2",50.0],PARAMETER["scale_factor",1.0],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",44.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]'

FME Configuration: Source coordinate system for reader ESRISHAPE[ESRISHAPE] set to `_NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0' as read from input data

Coordinate System `_NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0' parameters: CS_NAME=`_NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0' DESC_NM=`Ministry of Transport of Quebec / NAD83 Lambert' DT_NAME=`NAD83' ESRI_WKT=`PROJCS["Conique_conforme_de_Lambert_du_MTQ_utilis_e_pour_Adresse_Qu_bec",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",DATUM["D_North_American_1983",SPHEROID["Geodetic_Reference_System_of_1980",6378137.0,298.2572221009113]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Lambert_Conformal_Conic"],PARAMETER["false_easting",800000.0],PARAMETER["false_northing",0.0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",-70.0],PARAMETER["standard_parallel_1",46.0],PARAMETER["standard_parallel_2",50.0],PARAMETER["scale_factor",1.0],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",44.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]' GROUP=`CANADA' MAP_SCL=`1' MAX_LAT=`64.36666666666666' MAX_LNG=`-54.266666666666666' MIN_LAT=`43.233333333333334' MIN_LNG=`-82.7' ORG_LAT=`44' ORG_LNG=`-70' PARM1=`50' PARM2=`46' PROJ=`LM' QUAD=`1' SCL_RED=`1' SOURCE=`EPSG, V7.01, 3798' UNIT=`METER' X_OFF=`800000'

Using MIF Writer to write dataset `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP'

Shape Reader: Bounding box of shapefile `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\ROUTES_FLEETTRACK_SEPT2017' is: (678600.791716085,283148.871088554),(729079.456999459,331482.84)

Shape Reader: Bounding box of shapefile(s) selected from folder `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP/' is: (678600.791716085,283148.871088554),(729079.456999459,331482.84)

DBF Reader: Replaced non-numeric value for numeric field with default '0'

FME Configuration: Using FME Reprojection Engine

CS-MAP Reprojector: Transformation will be automatically selected for '_NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0' -> 'LL-WGS84', and is not guaranteed to remain the same in future releases of FME

Reprojector: Using transformation `NAD83_to_WGS84,Forward(Null,EPSG:1188)' when reprojecting from _NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0 to LL-WGS84

Opened MIF File F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif for output

Write with windows-1252 encoding from user input

Opened Separated Value File F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mid for output with delimiter `,'

Unable to close output MIF file `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif'

Unable to output feature data to file F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif

FME Session Duration: 0.9 seconds. (CPU: 0.5s user, 0.2s system)

END - ProcessID: 9508, peak process memory usage: 83144 kB, current process memory usage: 83144 kB

Unable to output feature data to file F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Translation failed"

Badge

this is the jist of the translation result:

"

Reprojector: Using transformation `NAD83_to_WGS84,Forward(Null,EPSG:1188)' when reprojecting from _NAD83.MTQ/Lambert_0 to LL-WGS84

Opened MIF File F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif for output

Opened Separated Value File F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mid for output with delimiter `,'

Unable to close output MIF file `F:\\Data\\shape\\montreal\\For Montreal\\SHP\\Routes_FleetTrack_sept2017.mif'

"

Any ideas??

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

this is the jist of the translation result:

"

"

Any ideas??

It doesn't seem to be an issue on the coordinate system transformation. Make sure that your machine has the privilege to write data into the destination drive and/or directory. Would it fail similarly, even if you have changed the destination folder to a directory within the C drive?

Badge

Thank you for that idea. Except that I was able to translate to the same location previously and the results I got was in meters, which is not the result that I needed. I will try to obtain degree data and try again.

Thank you do much for your help!

Badge

Takashi,

Thank you so much for your help and precious time!!

In the end you were right, I did have a writing issue, which I resolved, and somehow the coordinates did come out in degrees after several attempts.

Thanks so much to all!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Takashi,

Thank you so much for your help and precious time!!

In the end you were right, I did have a writing issue, which I resolved, and somehow the coordinates did come out in degrees after several attempts.

Thanks so much to all!!

Good to hear that its works! :)