Question

See idle time of an FME user / release a license

• 27 November 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge
Dear FME community,

we are using a total of three FME licenses in our company. These are concurrent network licences. This means that everybody can use the software who has it locally installed and under the condition that a license is available at this time. Since FME is very popular, the licenses are in good use :)

However, we sometimes have the case that somebody has opend FME Workbench or the Inspector, but he or she is not using it and simply forgot to close the program. In this case, the license is blocked unnecessarily.

Is there a way for an administrator or better for every FME user to detect this "idle time"? I don't mean the time when one is working on a workbench. I have seen something of this kind before where one could see which function/factory was used at a specific time. Perhaps this is already implemented.

Additionaly, one shoould be able to free the license in the case when FME is not used for a specific time. Is there a way to do this?

Kind regards from Germany.

Thomas

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

you can use the LMTools utility that is installed with the license server:

David
Badge
Hi David,

thanks you! But in LMTools I only see who currently uses the program, not for how long.

I would like to see the "idle time", that is the time a user has not been active in the Workbench. Have seen something of that before where you could see which function / factory was used at a specific time. But with current lmstats it doesen't show this kind of information any more.

Can we use the software or an alternative to find this information and (as an extra) to free/release a license? @Safe: I'm sure this would be beneficial to a lot of FME users.

Kind regards

Thomas
Userlevel 4
Hi,

as far as I know, idle time is not available anywhere. Be aware that the licensing system isn't developed by Safe, it is a commercial product that they bundle (as does e.g. ESRI). As such I'm not sure how much Safe can influence the development.

Sounds like it would be quicker and easier to educate your users? :-)

David
Badge
The last one is probably the best solution :)

I have found that you can create a config file safe.opt in the license directory of the LMTools in which one can define a TIMEOUTALL in seconds. We will try it out and let you know if it helps.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fme/conversations/topics/11479

Kind regards

Thomas