Question

Updating CSV file each time a Workspace is run

• 4 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a workspace which reads a CSV (CSV Reader) file for a parameter which is used in a web service call. At the end of the workspace, the CSV file is updated (CSV Writer). This approach work OK on fme desktop; however, when it is run on FME server 2017, instead of updating the CSV file (same file as reader), it simply returns the CSV file as a download--leaving the original file unmodified.

Is there any way to ensure that the file which is consumed by the reader is updated by the writer?

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi @massimoscocco,

a) If you are overwriting the CSV file to the same folder then this could be a permissions issue. You will need to check that the account user running the FME Server Services has Read/Write permissions to the folder storing the CSV file. Also make sure you are using the full UNC path for the destination output if your Server is on a separate machine.

b) If you do not need the file as a download then you can run the workspace under the JobSubmitter service instead of the DataDownload one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I suspect you are using the Data Download instead of Job Submitter, as Holly mentions. But I do have one other suggestion. Any time you are writing back to the same dataset as the source, add a FeatureHolder to your workspace before the output/writer feature type. That way FME will be sure to close the CSV file you are reading before it tries to write back to it. Otherwise FME might try to write back to the same file it is currently reading from, and that would not be good!